Building MLT - what type of bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trasky

Reaction score
Looking for some insight on what people feel would be the best way to go for a newbie building an MLT?

5 gallon/10 gallon
False bottom or ss mesh?

Others may disagree but my understanding is that for fly sparging a false bottom will give better results. If you are batch sparging, I believe that equal results can be obtained from either method.

Others may disagree but my understanding is that for fly sparging a false bottom will give better results. If you are batch sparging, I believe that equal results can be obtained from either method.

It's not the material that matters, it's the configuration. You can certainly use braid for a fly sparge setup if you configure it correctly.

I haven't brewed with it yet, but I'm dumping the old SS MLT w/FB and picking up a 36-qt Coleman Xtreme and converting it to a MLT with a SS wire braid. I will be batch-sparging.

Coleman Xtreme, as far as I can tell from my research, is THE WAY to go. Great insulation, and it's already got that little trough built in, so almost no deadspace, which of course means > efficiency. I have found no compelling reason to go any other way.

Of course this is all coming from someone who hasn't actually done what he's hailing. But I still think I'm right! :)

as far as 5 gallon cooler vs. 10 gallon cooler - I would point you in the direction of a 10 gallon cooler.
The reason is that you can only mash up to about 1.060 grain bill for a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon cooler.

If you ever want to increase your yield, or increase your SG, you're stuck if you buy the 5 gallon cooler.

I have a rectangular cooler with a cooper manifold with drilled holes. Works great.

as far as 5 gallon cooler vs. 10 gallon cooler - I would point you in the direction of a 10 gallon cooler.
The reason is that you can only mash up to about 1.060 grain bill for a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon cooler.

If you ever want to increase your yield, or increase your SG, you're stuck if you buy the 5 gallon cooler.
Sorry to contradict you, but I had no problems getting 5.25 gallons of 1.075 wort with a 5 gallon cooler.

-a.

Back