Building an electric brewery using 120V

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCS813

Reaction score
So I have been homebrewing for just over a year now. I have been doing AG on my turkey fryer but now want to transition to electric. Right now I rent so I can not install any new fixtures so I was thinking about going the 120V route.

My questions are 1.)can I use 2, 2000W elements in the same BK to get the boil needed, 2.) can those elements run off the same plug plugged into the same circuit, 3.) can they be controlled by the PID, & 4.) can that PID & the elements be plugged in together?

I know I have a lot of questions and I appreciate all the help I can get.

-Chris

1. yes
2. No! you will need 2 separate 120v 20 amp circuits
3. Since separate circuits, control would be separate. Or you could run one element controlled, and one at 100% to provide variable power 2000-4000w.

Thanks, Jammin for that thread. That's pretty much what I am looking to build. I'm thinking I'll use the 2 element drawing to get a rolling boil quicker then turn one element off & maintain it. I'm also thinking about adding a second PID with it's own element & switch for the HLT. This whole set up will be plugged into 3 outlets.

Those drawings were really detailed. I got a little confused with the first one regarding the contactor & resistor. Do I need both of them if I use the second drawing?

Thanks again for the help.

1. Yes, you can even use 2x 1500W elements and leave them on full blast for the boil if you're only doing 5-6 gallon batches. I did this for quite a while.
2. As stated above, no. You will need 2 separate 15 or 20A GFCI protected circuits.
3. Yes.
4. Yes, there should be enough wiggle room for that, you should also be able to run a pump if needed.

The best 120V solution is to combine your stove top with a 120V brew controller. Your stove top will not bring 7 gallons to a boil but the combination of your stove top + a 1650 watt brew controller will boil 7 gallons & will provide the control you need to manage foam.

So I have been homebrewing for just over a year now. I have been doing AG on my turkey fryer but now want to transition to electric. Right now I rent so I can not install any new fixtures so I was thinking about going the 120V route.

My questions are 1.)can I use 2, 2000W elements in the same BK to get the boil needed, 2.) can those elements run off the same plug plugged into the same circuit, 3.) can they be controlled by the PID, & 4.) can that PID & the elements be plugged in together?

I know I have a lot of questions and I appreciate all the help I can get.

-Chris

Back