building a mashtun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
So I am in the process of converting to all grain. I just bought everything I need to build my mash tun and I went with a 48qt cooler from coleman. I went with this one that was on sale at Dicks Sporting Goods

Coleman 48 QT Team Cooler - Dick's Sporting Goods

I decided to use cpvc piping on mine. My question is do you think it is better to use my drill to drill tiny holes in the piping or use a knife to cut slits through the piping. Is there a big difference or is it just preference?? thanks!!!

preference really. There is also debate on whether they should be on the top or bottom of the manifold. If you go with slits I would not suggest trying to use a knife. Sounds dangerous. A dremel cut-off wheel will do a nice job. That is what I used on my copper manifold. Or a hack saw will work fine of the cpvc too.

There is also debate on whether they should be on the top or bottom of the manifold.

I've never seen this debate....well not among people that actually have them. If you put the holes up...they immediately plug and you have a stuck sparge. I have 32 holes drilled with a 1/8 drill bit.
I'm not saying it's any better or worse than anything else...but it's what I've got and it works pretty well.

I've never seen this debate....well not among people that actually have them. If you put the holes up...they immediately plug and you have a stuck sparge. I have 32 holes drilled with a 1/8 drill bit.
I'm not saying it's any better or worse than anything else...but it's what I've got and it works pretty well.

I agree and have mine on the bottom. There was some discussion on here a few years back and there were some proponents of having opening on top. I cannot remember what the supposed advantage was. I agree on the bottom seems to work best. You not only have less issue of clogging but you get a bit of vacuum action to suck up the liquid once the flow is going. Just putting that out there. Perhaps the once proponents have seen the light...

:D

If you are gonna drill, go with either a 3/32 or 1/8 bit.

If you are gonna cut slots, use the thinnest cut off tool on a dremel or similar rotary tool.

FYI- Walmart sells the black and decker brand "dremel" for around 30 bucks...

Back