Building a Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the same cooler, I bought by parts at Bargain Fittings.

Stainless Steel Braid
braid.jpg

Ball Valve with bulkhead
valvesbarbso.jpg

I built that Fly Guy one a few weeks ago. Part numbers matched up perfectly at Home Depot.

I built that Fly Guy one a few weeks ago. Part numbers matched up perfectly at Home Depot.

And how's the braided supply hose work for clarity/filtering? I was at a friend's place few weeks ago, and he has a nifty domed false bottom on his.

It works great for me. make sure to get the Stainless Steel one though.

I picked up the dishwasher or washing machine supply line at HD as that was the only one that I saw that was indeed SS. It was long enough that I was able to cut it in half and now I have a backup if ever needed.

First 2 - 2.5 quarts come out a little cloudy but after vorlaufing, the runnings come out very clear.

It works great for me. make sure to get the Stainless Steel one though.

I picked up the dishwasher or washing machine supply line at HD as that was the only one that I saw that was indeed SS. It was long enough that I was able to cut it in half and now I have a backup if ever needed.

First 2 - 2.5 quarts come out a little cloudy but after vorlaufing, the runnings come out very clear.

Sorry, one more quick one then I'll let the thread die, hehe.

I see in that other thread he had some problems with corrosion on his hose clamps, did you see this too, or managed to get SS ones?

I built the mash tun exactly as shown in that thread. Stainless steel braid. Stainless steel hose clamps. I got my clamps at Lowes, and they haven't rusted at all. They were labeled as stainless. I don't know if Home Depot carries true stainless clamps or not.

Yeah, the final suggestion got a little lost in that massive thread.

I was going to do the Plastic Tube Insert and FlyGuy set me straight.

If you can get all stainless hose clamps, they still work the best. I have since switched back to them.

Back