Building a Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catamount

Reaction score
I found a kegerator to buy. Its a chest freezer with a temperature regulator on it converted for use right now with commercial kegs. i want to put cornelius kegs inside. My question is, with the chest freezer being 27inches deep, is that enough to accommodate the height of the corny keg transformation? i read the dimensions that corny kegs were about 25 inches high, however i was wondering if adding the locks and hoses would make the height more than 27 inches. Also, when considering buying corny kegs, are there any advantages to the pin lock vs. the ball lock?
any info would help, thanks.

Search "keezer" (kegerator + freezer)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/search.php?searchid=1103233

Also, check out some of the kegerator conversion threads. Many people around here have converted freezers.

The most common kegs are ball lock, but pin lock kegs work the same. They are slightly different sizes, though. I believe that pin lock kegs are a little shorter, but wider in daimeter. The pin lock posts can require a modified socket to fit over the pins, while ball lock posts will come off with unmodified sockets.

thanks for the info. the chest freezer has already been converted to a "keezer". i just want to buy it and convert it to hold corny's. anyone know if the 27inch depth will accommodate the corny and the lock/hoses? or do i need to take the lid off and build it higher?

Tthe ball locks and the hoses are pretty close to the height of the handles of the keg. If the kegs fit, the lines should fit as well.

so another kegerator has come into the picture, and i must decide between a chest freezer with a single tower tap, or a side by side fridge freezer with the tap built onto the side of it. I am going to want to have two cornys in whatever i choose to buy, so i will need to make some mods.
so my question is, first off, are there any pros and cons for the chest freezer over the side by side fridge freezer? (the side by side fridge is $150 less than the keezer, but older)
next, if i choose to go with the keezer that has the tower, and i want to keep two cornys in it without buying a double tap tower for another 100, could i simply buy a dual co2 regulator so i can have them both hooked up to gas, and simply put the liquid lock on whichever brew i choose to drink at the moment, and swtich it as i please? or will this be a bad idea?

Back