Building a keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcp197

Reaction score
This is a general question about cost. I've priced everything out for a three tap keezer, and it seems it will cost about $700. That's with a cheap freezer off of Craig's list for 50. Anyone have tips to reduce cost?

Hard to get it much lower than that using quality parts.

I'd avoid buying cheap faucets.. Stick with perlicks.

You could forgo a manifold for a 4-way gas connector. That'd save you about $30-40.

go with an ebay controller over a Love controller. I've got one of each. For the price I like the Ebay controller. There's another $50.

I built a super cheap 4 way co2 manifold from harbor freight parts. But it doesn't have shut off valves if you need that.

Get the stc temp controller off eBay for cheap.

Thanks for the info! Do you guys use the oetiker clamps or just regular hose clamps? I'm not sure what the benefit of the oetiker is and they seem like a big hassle if I have to remove.

Thanks for the info! Do you guys use the oetiker clamps or just regular hose clamps? I'm not sure what the benefit of the oetiker is and they seem like a big hassle if I have to remove.

Not to mention expense (clamps, tool, etc.). What is the benefit of the Otikers over stainless hose clamps?

I just used tiny regular ones. No leaks. Most of the time I have to cut the hose to get it off a barb anyways. It gets stuck on the barb and the only way to rip it off is to cut it.

Not to mention expense (clamps, tool, etc.). What is the benefit of the Otikers over stainless hose clamps?

Oetiker clamps provide a uniform constriction around the full circumference, where worm clamps always have a partial fixed radius area at the base of the worm drive. Oetiker clamps are also more likely to be fully stainless steel, where many "SS" worm clamps actually may have a non-stainless screw.

On the down side, Oetikers are pretty much single-use and are more easily installed with a special tool (though one can get away with side-cutters or square nosed pliers).

After all that, I still just use proper sized all stainless worm clamps without issue...

Cheers!

Back