Building a Home Brew & Pub Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBaron1985

The Beer Baron
Reaction score
So I was able to score for $500 a 12ft custom bar made out of mostly poplar planks and 9 stools/chairs. It had a great stain finish on it. Looks amazing! CL is an amazing wasteland of stuff, just got to have the right timing it seems on there. Bought a Danby kegerator that I converted as a two tap tower with a cooling fan with hose up to the tower. The pinball machine I traveled 6 hours from my house to get. Its fully restored inside and out. Great conversation piece as well as being a cool looking game in the space.

Anyways, I want to know if anyone on here has created an automatic liquor dispense system? Similar to a product called "SideBar Beverage."
http://www.sidebarbeverage.com/6500-series-horizontal/black-base-black-spout-6500h

I would think for the cost of such a device and a little know how, I think a similar system that looks cooler and functions the same if not better, can be made with a few parts like 3/16" hoses, stoppers, 12VDC dosing pumps, a nice keypad matrix, old fashioned looking faucet for show, and some basic relay board. I could even go one step further with some arduino coding to make various mixed drinks at the touch of a button. I know a company called Berg makes such a system for professional environments, but can't see it being practical for home setups unless I really had too much disposal income to play with.

What do you think?

80-20161120_102434_5c8faf0c3c4fb65f0424a0f7f9c9f39088484ada.jpg

80-20161007_123428_c29094326f1d4fbdcd5203f99d772f4760b4da20.jpg

80-fb_img_1480542403044_77e6c758e2064ec5fad84278acaee1347821bdd2.jpg

I'm having a hard time picturing how that Sidebar gadget doesn't leave the line full of liquor, which would mix with your next selection. Maybe by blowing some compressed air through after each one?

Edit: just read that it actually has 5 separate lines all the way through the spout.

Already on there. Pinwiz1985. Did a full rebuild of the Bally Embryon pin you see there. Yes very awesome community there.

Hey everyone!

Been awhile since updating this thread. I ran into major health issues, and two surgeries later, back to feeling like myself again.

Started to build out the home brewery downstairs.

- Got all 14 five gal kegs plus two 2.5gal kegs for cold brew coffee for the keezer
- got a stainless vent hood with 10" ducting for the boil kettle. Its a type 1 but I converted it to a type 2 condensate hood.
- finally got to building the automatic liquor dispenser, still working on it. Will have 6 liquors at the touch of a button soon
- started to finish the back wall of the bar. Properly insulated to code too. Doing a little at a time.

Still need to brew more beer, thats always the priority right? Need some respectable stainless tables for the brew area now that the space is cleared for it. I'm contemplating adding a downstairs sink.

I found a stainless 7ft table with one built in, but now in lies connecting a ventless pump with sump to my waste stack, and running pex supply line to it. The price is a good deal, he knows a friend of mine, just need to find funds DOH!

For now, im happy with the progress so far!

Do check out my youtube channel, I have been posting videos there on the basement speakeasy updates!

https://www.youtube.com/user/xboxer1985
20190811_123651.jpg
20190724_224838.jpg
20190721_180604.jpg
20190129_150612.jpg
20190202_140730.jpg
20190204_144418.jpg
20190209_191413.jpg
20190205_162306.jpg
20190525_194351.jpg
20190727_104600.jpg
20190727_104545.jpg

Hey All,

A few updates. Will have pictures soon.

- The basement now has heat!
- The new electric circuit doubles as a 240V supply for an upgraded brewery setup down the road!
- Scored a free black leather couch for sitting space
- Ordering stainless prep tables this week!

The basement area does get chilly being partially unfinished, but it doesn't go below 50 degrees. The wife approved me getting a sizeable forced fan electric heater to keep the temperature comfortable when we are all hanging out down there. That means doing some electrical upgrade work! I scored a 5k heater for $60 at a local flea market. I bought a 4 space sub panel (8 space if you use 1/2" breakers) for $22, ground bar for $5, had some free 8AWG 3 conductor plus ground wire, 50A DP breaker for $10, 30A DP for $10, an L14-30 outlet for $15, and a box/faceplate for the outlet at $5.

So now the basement speakeasy has heat! It does take a bit even with a 5k heater to get the temperature up to the mid 60's Fahrenheit. Ideally for a 1030 sq/ft basement I should have around 10k watts, and maybe down the road I upgrade the wiring again, but I don't think I will need it. The dual use with this 240V 30A circuit is now I can power a proper size electric brewery when I upgrade my kettles beyond my 5 gallon batch size! Granted I will need to swap out the standard 30A DP with a proper 30A GFCI breaker, those things are MAD MONEY at around $100!

Cost in electrical parts to run a proper 240V 30A line for an electric brewery is roughly $190, including the cost of the wire if I paid for it and the GFCI breaker. I am very familiar with electricity and confident in my work. An actual licensed electrician would charge a few hundred more to install easily.

More details soon!

Hey All,

Well this year has certainly been one for the record books, COVID and all. Anyways, wife and I have finished up the brewery and the basement! By that I mean partially finished the walls properly insulated, and added a slew of new feature points.

I'll have more pictures soon. The only remaining elements I need to put up are more housekeeping things, such as some themed area rugs and some heavy room dividing curtains to separate the brewery/storage space from the entertainment space. It will also help with the heat in the winter.

For now, a video demo of the new automatic liquor dispenser and sink. Everything is based on 12 volts. The sink has a 5 gallon supply tank and 5 gal grey water tank. Perfect for cleaning glasses.

New pictures!

I got a few more things to add, and will get more pictures of the bar area next. More likely will simply do a video tour of the whole place. My wife is wants a new area rug for the kitchen table, and that will be a perfect opportunity while carpet shopping to pickup some area rugs for the arcade area. When the downstairs isnt being used for entertainment I swap out the 2700K LED bulbs for some stupid bright white LEDs 100 watt equiv to really light the place up. The warmer color temp really makes the space look more inviting when everyone is downstairs.

In the picture below you see the 1080P projector still on the pinball. This is now installed and projects on the screen behind the couch, and wont be interferred by people walking by unless you are stupid tall like me. I have a 4 way HDMI splitter to feed 3 TVS and the projector, and have a Wi-Fi extender for internet.

For sound I have two 1x15H monitor speakers under the pinballs pumping 200 watts of sound. We recently had Metallica live 1991 playing through a Firestick. You see the other PA gear, but its not hooked up...YET. I have a small 6 channel mixer to pipe in bluetooth, Firestick, and pretty much anything else to the sound system.

More pictures to follow on the bar and brewery area.

20200811_162245.jpg
20200811_162251.jpg
20200811_162239.jpg
20200811_162235.jpg
20200718_205217.jpg
20200704_222132.jpg
20200704_222127.jpg

Last edited:
Once again. Very, very nice. Where did you get the LEDs for under the bar counter? I need these. Look at the keezer and taps!!!!

They are RGB 5050 Waterproof LEDs, easily available on Amazon. Its running off a spare 360 watt PSU, same used on the keezer.

So I have to go on record that the whole "Diner" idea is all my wife's. She has always wanted to run on, but obviously a bit impractical, so this was the next best thing. A local pizza place was remodeling, and they were giving away all the restaurant booths. We picked up all the best ones that had no rips, cleaned them up, fixed some wood issues, and presto, theres the diner! Tables were $20 bucks for the two from another diner in CT that recently closed down. The TVs on the wall were stupid cheap too as a hotel went out of business, and the manager was liquidating them off on FB to whoever wanted them, remotes, cords and all. Just bought cheap wall mounts.

The walls are all installed by me, properly insulated to code here in CT, and waterproof treated the concrete walls with Drylock. I will say its got flaws that I was able to cover up well. I'm certainly no expert, and honestly finish carpentry is tough! Its partially finished and it will stay that way, no need to finish the whole basement and pay the extra taxes.

What a great idea about the local pizza place. I need to remember. My wife would wet her pants if I found a juke box for my bar.

IMO, you did a great job on the build.

Well....that is the next investment. When I was a kid my parents owned an AQ160SH Seeburg. It played 45's and 33-1/3's. Like my Embryon pinball I have a childhood connection to that model and someday will own it. For now, the plan is to have a bluetooth wurlitzer tabletop jukeboxes on the tables to add to the look of the space. They look sweet and not too expensive. The Seeburg I want, restored condition, is easily over $2000.

amazing what can be done with an unfinished basement. Looks awesome! My wife and I are going to build a bar in half of the garage. Thanks for some inspiration!

amazing what can be done with an unfinished basement. Looks awesome! My wife and I are going to build a bar in half of the garage. Thanks for some inspiration!

You are very welcome! Much of my inspiration has come from this forum and the pinside forum. I've seen basement spaces with hidden secret doors, full bars, arcades, batting cages, mini golf greens, movie theater, and one crazy dude built a laser tag setup. Granted he converted an entire section of his house to that, but goes to show you how crazy people will go for their man caves/entertainment space.

Hey all!

Latest update is a small one. I have upgraded my rinse sink from a 5 gallon fresh/gray tank capacity to 14 gallons of fresh/gray. Part of the reason for doing so is I scored a small countertop dish washer for $65 bucks! Practically new, just needed a pump cleanout from sitting so long. It actually heats the water up too! Also relocated the pump on the cement floor so it is less noisy than from when it was inside the cabinet.

I'm debating if I should get a 2.5gal on demand hot water tank so I have hot water for the dishwasher and sink. Hmmm...

Also got a bead on a stainless sink with washboard for the brewery area. That sink I know I will need to plumb to the house. Thankfully the waste stack is right there where the brewery is. Just will need some creative plumbing parts to adapt it up.

Its late in the year, and today may be the last 70 degree day till the spring, but I scored a snowcone machine cart for $100 bucks new! It shaves ice well. Not like Hawaiian ice thin, but better than the fridge.

Got some room divider thermal curtains to section off the brewery/storage area from the bar area. Nice dark red.

Update for next time is my brewery controller. Upgraded the box and wall mounted it. I scored a double pole 30A GFCI for $55. And the controller while wired for 120VAC now, can be converted to 240VAC with minimal effort.

Recently, I brewed a blueberry honey amber ale at 5.8%. Can't wait to try it this week!

Till next time!

20201109_154829.jpg
20201109_154848.jpg
20201109_154859.jpg
20201109_154910.jpg
20201109_154932.jpg
20201109_154949.jpg
20201109_155006.jpg

Last edited:
That is insane!!!! Excellent work... Post a pic when you have a party - would love to see all your guests enjoying your Bar!

That is insane!!!! Excellent work... Post a pic when you have a party - would love to see all your guests enjoying your Bar!

Most def! My wife's birthday we are celebrating this weekend, but only a few people over to keep within the restrictions.

When we eventually have another sizeable party...we got two 20x20 party tents that we got for free with the side window kits, two grills, one which is dedicated for meat smoking, and still have that massive PA System I can't seem to sell to really get the tunes thumping! Just tell everyone its a pot luck, plenty of beer to drink, and plenty of available taps for other home brewers to bring their brews, guest taps if you will! :)

Welp, I'm not sure I got a deal or not, but I picked up this sink yesterday. Was inside a shed for awhile. Guy runs a gas station, had it installed, but the health inspection flagged him for the single bay sink citing he needed to install a 3 bay per state health guidelines. As a result this sink was useless to him.

It comes with the faucet setup, supply lines, and drain assembly. I paid $100 bucks cash....

Online this model# goes for about $456 bucks shipped in 4-8 weeks. Another site showed $399 plus $207 freight to my door. These are costs without the supply lines or faucet setups!

I'd say I scored big time! It will be a while before I can hook it up properly. I'll need a drain pump, and various plumbing pieces for the supply/waste lines.

I think this may be the biggest upgrade to the brewery space, and often the most costly besides running electrical lines. A sink is super critical tool for any brewery. Once this is installed I will no longer have to travel upstairs to the kitchen with boiling wort to cool it off!

Till the next update!

Attachments

• 20201117_194126.jpg
    20201117_194126.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 108
  • 20201117_194138.jpg
    20201117_194138.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 105
  • 20201117_194145.jpg
    20201117_194145.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 93
Back