Building A Bar - Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bs04do

Reaction score
Hello All,

New to this forum and had come across some good threads on building bars, so I thought I’d give this a shot.

I have started building an L-shaped bar for our basement and had a question for anyone with experience. I’m going to use Oak plywood for the top and outside, as well as oak pieces to trim out the outside. My question is whether it will be okay to stain the pieces (after cutting of course) before I fasten them to the frame/plywood or if I should wait until everything is built to stain them (same thing applies to the bar rail, I’ll be using Chicago Rail). A pic of the frame is below.

Thanks!

photo (1).jpg

I'd stain first.. but I spray stain. As long as you're careful you should have no problem. Just be careful tacking it up.

If your pieces are cut to the right length and ready to be assembled there is no reason you can't pre-stain them and then assemble. I would likely put the first coat of stain on them, assemble and then put a final coat on them making sure of even coverage.

All this bar projects is making me anxious to start mine!

I stained everything after, although I think it would've been easier to stain everything first. If you can install an electrical outlet somewhere, I use mine all the time.

Thanks for the advice so far. I like the idea of staining once, then again after (think I may end up with 3 or so coats)

Doing the electrical in the basement this weekend, putting 2 receptacles under the bar (for fridge, under-bar lighting, and any accessories that may be used [blender, etc})

Thanks for the advice so far. I like the idea of staining once, then again after (think I may end up with 3 or so coats)

Doing the electrical in the basement this weekend, putting 2 receptacles under the bar (for fridge, under-bar lighting, and any accessories that may be used [blender, etc})

I'd plumb in water if possible, looks like your walls are open. One thing I really wish I had on my bar, especially while hosting a party.

Though about making it a wet bar, but plumbing is across the basment would be too much $$ with the rest of the basement to go. I'll post some more pics when we get there (found them really helpful when I looked on here, maybe mine will be too), gonna get electrical/drywall done before the bar project continues!
Any other tips on finishing the rest of the bar?
Plans are to:
Make a glass shelf with oak framing and recessed light in the foundation kick out
Use oak Chicago bar rail and foot rails
Put a tv in the top left corner
Pot lights around bar
Ceramic tile in bar section

Has anyone stained oak veneer plywood? I haven't and was wondering if there were any special steps I need to take.

That looks VERY similar to the bar I'll be building in my basement. Except I have a closet with full plumbing along the right (in your photo) side, so there will be a sink in the top-right corner of the bar.

Are you going to extend the plywood top out beyond your front wall for legroom, or will the front edge of the bar be a vertical face all the way to the floor? If you're overhanging the top, how far are you allowing for kneeroom?

Just an update - have a guy mudding / taping the drywall so I've just put on the front and side plywood and one top panel:

april12.jpg

Been working when I can on this and am almost in the final stages. I have the bar tops (2 pieces of 3/4 oak veneer plywood) soaking in the stain and the Chicago bar rail doing the same thing. I’ll post a final pick when it is completed.

I have two more questions:

1) What should I use to protect the bar top? I have been researching a 2-part epoxy (Envirotex Lite), but am worried that where the 2 pieces of plywood butt together the resin will seep through and leave a gap. There isn’t a noticeable gap there, however I have read the resin can find its way through even the slightest space.
2) I have mitred the bar rails at 45’s and was wondering if anyone had a tip as to how I can keep them from separating. I don’t have the tools to make a (not sure the technical term) tongue and groove insert. I was planning on just using clue and Brad nailing them together to hold them tight.

Any help is appreciated!

June5.jpg

Depending on material thickness, you could drill a couple holes in the face of the miter cuts, and glue dowel rods in.

Here it is almost completed. I'm looking to use a self-levelling epoxy resin and the brand is Envirotex Lite. Any advice?

June19.jpg

Back