Build or buy Raspberry Pi brewery control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwalls

Reaction score
After reviewing many different builds and systems I have decided on a Raspberry Pi system running Strangebrew Elisinore. There is a lot of info on Elisinore but not much on the actual builds. Trying to decide if i should build or buy the Hosehead. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Scott

I purchased a Hosehead 2 that runs on the raspberry pi 2. You can check it out at http://brewtronix.com/. So far I have no complaints.

IMG_0852.jpg

I am 95% done with my build. I am using a Kal, www.theelectricbrewery.com, clone with a RaspPi in place of the PID controllers. I don't' have a total for the panel build in front of me, but i think i have $500 in to the control panel.

After looking at the hosehead that looks like a great option if you plan on sticking with the Raspberry Pi as your controller. the price is cheaper than what you could build a panel for, or pretty close.

I went with the Kal clone to give me the option to switch to PIDs if i ever need/want to.

I started my build for Pi/ Elsinore before hosehead came out.

It looks like an economical option, as the parts for a "Kal" clone type control panel would be close to the same amount of $$$ to get comparable options and functionality.

If you are thinking you want more functionality, then you might want to consider building your own.

I used the BCS 420 DIY control panel from Electric Brewing Supply as the base and adapted it for Pi/ Elsinore (see pics).

Cheers!
-Dan

20150310_174103.jpg

20150222_133708.jpg

Back