Build an Urn-father vs buying a grainfather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

RevA

Reaction score
With the quarantine I've had more time to brew than in a very long time and have gotten a bit fed up with mashtuns and cleaning. I wanted to buy a grainfather (the cheapest electric single vessel system in South Africa) but will have to wait a month or so for one to be sourced.
The other option is buying an urn (electric coffee/tea water heater in 8 gallon) and add a temp controller and pump.
Has anyone got an opinion on which would be the better option?

jswillbrewforbeer

Reaction score
I see those urns at the thrift store all the time for a few bucks and always thought it could easily be turned into a single vessel brew system. Will be curious to see if anyone has done it!

bleme

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It has been done.
Here is an example:

OP
OP
RevA

RevA

Reaction score
It has been done.
Here is an example:
Thanks. It helps seeing how others went about it.

Paul Lowe

Reaction score
I use the grainfather watersparge urn as a brew kettle but use a power controller to control the vigour of the boil. The temperature seems to consistently run 5 to 7 degrees higher than the setting on the urn. I use a mash tun rather than a boil in the bag method

OP
OP
RevA

RevA

Reaction score
I use the grainfather watersparge urn as a brew kettle but use a power controller to control the vigour of the boil. The temperature seems to consistently run 5 to 7 degrees higher than the setting on the urn. I use a mash tun rather than a boil in the bag method
Thank could work! Are you happy with this method?

Paul Lowe

Reaction score
Thank could work! Are you happy with this method?
Yes, for small batches although i am changing my entire set up to an induction cooktop system. I make good beer with the urn. I use it because i already have the equipment. If you are budget consious I would think carefully about what your long term set up will be and how this could fit into that. Incremental purchases without a clear end goal can be quite expensive (in my experience)

OP
OP
RevA

RevA

Reaction score
Yes, for small batches although i am changing my entire set up to an induction cooktop system. I make good beer with the urn. I use it because i already have the equipment. If you are budget consious I would think carefully about what your long term set up will be and how this could fit into that. Incremental purchases without a clear end goal can be quite expensive (in my experience)
Makes sense.
I started all-grain with a cooler mash tun 5 gallon batches and downscaled to one to two gallon batches as that suits me better. Currently doing either BIAB of in a small cooler, but I want move to an electric system as the small town I live in doesn't always have refills for propane when you want.