Buiding a control panel for dummies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbell71464

Reaction score
I am building my 2nd brewstand. It will be a two tier with the HLT elevated. I am comfortable with all the plumbing and manual controls, but I am interested in building a control panel. Is there a good basics of what you need? I am using high pressure propane and want to control the pump and the burners. I could really use some help with what I need in control panel.
Thanks for the help!

Pumps are easy to wire in the control panel... burner control is a little more tricky, especially with high pressure propane. Are you doing a direct fire RIMS like a Brutus?.. with burner control on the HLT & MLT? My build that I'm nearing completion on uses high pressure propane... I'm using Banjo burners, with Honeywell pilot burners. The pilot burners came with natural gas orifices, which I replaced with low pressure propane orifices... then use a needle valve to dial the pressure on the pilot down. It works, but I don't have a safety mechanism to disable burner gas if the pilot goes out. The valves/burner controls that have that type of logic are designed to work with low pressure propane or natural gas. I think if you gave a little more info on what you want to do exactly, you would get some good info on what you'll need.

Thanks for the help
Here is what I want to do.
I have a three burner set up. I am using banjo burners (high pressure) on both the boil kettle and the HLT. I have a smaller high pressure burner on my MT (direct fire). I was planning on running 3 pilot lights off of a needle valve. That part doesnt need to be automated. I would assume automating this would add significant cost. All I need for the BK is an on/off control. For the HLT and the MT, I want to be able to control temps using probably a love controller. I am also toying with a Herms set up as well. I want to try and put a switch in the control panel that would switch between the direct fire MT burner and pump control to run HERMS through my HLT. I understand wiring the ASCO valves and the plumbing, I am more lost with wiring within the control box itself.

Back