Bugs in your wort??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
I brew in New Jersey, the bug capital of the world, I can't help but imagine don't get a few of some type of flying critters in my wort, i brew in the garage with the door open, but April to October, they thrive in this damp, humid environment....between the boil, the chill down, and the transfer to the carboy, I got a good chance of getting some extra protein. Anyone feel this is asking for an infection??

Hey Beernewb,

I brew in PA, similar bug issue. I really don't worry about them too much. I pick them out with my brew ladle when necessary and with the boil they typically stay away, so the faster you can bring you're wort to a boil the better you are, IMHO.

Hope this helps
Travel Mon

I've seen it before where bees are attracted to the sweet smell and as soon as the get over the boil kettle they drop like a rock...

I tried picking them out to no avail...

I have counted as many a 11 bee carcases in my strainer after cool down. During cool down I leave my lid on my kettle.

Beer tastes just as good... Bees or not.

I've seen it before where bees are attracted to the sweet smell and as soon as the get over the boil kettle they drop like a rock...

I tried picking them out to no avail...

I have counted as many a 11 bee carcases in my strainer after cool down. During cool down I leave my lid on my kettle.

Beer tastes just as good... Bees or not.

Ha ha ha! Methinks any of EdWort's recipes would be especially good for you! (Bee Cave Brewery). :mug:

Back