Bugger underhopped 60/-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icewalker

Reaction score
Evening folks - does anyone have any remedies for a severely un-derhopped 60/-?

I just pulled a sample out of the primary (recipe says 1 week primary 1 week secondary) and I taste absolutely no hops.

Was worried this was going to happen - when I added the hops to the boil I tried out one of those large strainer balls - don't think much in the way of hoppy goodness got added.

Dry hop? Add some bittering herbs in a tea and restart the fermentation?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Well, you don't really taste hops in a 60/- anyway. But is it underbittered (way too sweet), or simply not hoppy? Adding dryhops will give some hop flavor and aroma, but won't add any bitterness. The hop tea will add some bitterness.

Remember that carbonation lessens the sweetness that is perceived in beers, too- the carbonic acid "bite" really helps with that. It's really hard to judge a beer until it's carbed up.

From the style guidelines on 60/-: Flavor: Malt is the primary flavor, but isn’t overly strong. The initial malty sweetness is usually accentuated by a low to moderate kettle caramelization, and is sometimes accompanied by a low diacetyl component. Fruity esters may be moderate to none. Hop bitterness is low to moderate, but the balance will always be towards the malt (although not always by much). Hop flavor is low to none. A low to moderate peaty character is optional, and may be perceived as earthy or smoky. Generally has a grainy, dry finish due to small amounts of unmalted roasted barley.

What was the recipe?

Well, you don't really taste hops in a 60/- anyway. But is it underbittered (way too sweet), or simply not hoppy? Adding dryhops will give some hop flavor and aroma, but won't add any bitterness. The hop tea will add some bitterness.

Remember that carbonation lessens the sweetness that is perceived in beers, too- the carbonic acid "bite" really helps with that. It's really hard to judge a beer until it's carbed up.

From the style guidelines on 60/-: Flavor: Malt is the primary flavor, but isn’t overly strong. The initial malty sweetness is usually accentuated by a low to moderate kettle caramelization, and is sometimes accompanied by a low diacetyl component. Fruity esters may be moderate to none. Hop bitterness is low to moderate, but the balance will always be towards the malt (although not always by much). Hop flavor is low to none. A low to moderate peaty character is optional, and may be perceived as earthy or smoky. Generally has a grainy, dry finish due to small amounts of unmalted roasted barley.

What was the recipe?

Thanks Yooper - from the sample it tastes as though it has no hops at all and has absolutely no bitterness to it. I loathe going through the process of the secondary and conditioning if it's completely fubar. It's the first time I've done one so it could be that I'm just not used to the way it smells and the taste at such a young age.

Gravity reading is 1.0103 at the moment.

- It's the NB 60/- BTW

SPECIALTY GRAIN
-- 0.5 lbs Briess Caramel 80L

FERMENTABLES
-- 3.15 lbs Amber malt syrup
-- 1 lbs Dark dry malt extract

HOPS & FLAVORINGS
-- 0.5 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)

Thanks

Jeff

Well, that actually looks about right for a 60/-. Less than 3.5% ABV, with very little bitterness or hops flavor. Being too sweet, rather than not bitter, could be an issue if you like bitter beers but a Scottish is generally sweeter than an Irish red. Sometimes they even carmelize the wort to get a richer sweet taste.

I don't have a good answer- if you absolutely will not like it as it is, you could try adding some hops tea to it. I'd probably not mess with it, and just bottle it like it is and make a hoppier beer next time.

Well, that actually looks about right for a 60/-. Less than 3.5% ABV, with very little bitterness or hops flavor. Being too sweet, rather than not bitter, could be an issue if you like bitter beers but a Scottish is generally sweeter than an Irish red. Sometimes they even carmelize the wort to get a richer sweet taste.

I don't have a good answer- if you absolutely will not like it as it is, you could try adding some hops tea to it. I'd probably not mess with it, and just bottle it like it is and make a hoppier beer next time.

Many thanks - I'll send it to the secondary for a week or so and see what happens then :)

As Yopper says, everything looks to be normal.

It's a small beer, and you are not going to get much out of 0.5 ozs of N'Brewer. Some bitterness (for the style), but no flavor or aroma.

If you really want some up-front hops, dry hop with an ounce of your favorite hops; it will not be a 60/- anymore, but will be beer.

As Yopper says, everything looks to be normal.

It's a small beer, and you are not going to get much out of 0.5 ozs of N'Brewer. Some bitterness (for the style), but no flavor or aroma.

If you really want some up-front hops, dry hop with an ounce of your favorite hops; it will not be a 60/- anymore, but will be beer.

almost perfect advice, though the only quibble i have is saying it wouldn't be a 60 any more. while it may not conform specifically to the guidelines, actual english and scottish brewers are evolving, and if you don't like your 60 as it is, then it's awesome to change it.

one thing you could do though, is get some carb tabs (pre-packaged sugar in tab form) and bottle one or two 12 oz samples. give them a couple weeks and taste when they are carbonated. carbonation really, really does change the flavor (carbonic acid), and it can also really help the nose of a beverage as well. that may give you a more accurate idea of what it tastes like.

Icewalker said:
Gravity reading is 1.0103 at the moment.
Damn, how precise is your hydrometer?

The only way to add some bitterness at this point would be to make a hop tea and add it. Dry hopping will give you flavor and aroma, but not the bitterness to offset the sweetness.

But, I agree with Yooper that you should just let it go and bottle it. Adjust as necessary next time.

You can purchase hop extract to add bitterness. It's kind of handy to have around for this type of situation. For future reference, don't trust what the recipe says about timing of primary and secondary. The recipe has no idea what your brewing process and environment are like. You also really don't need to secondary, just let it go in the primary for three weeks or so and bottle.

I'll chime in with Yooper, leave it alone. You are dead on for the style. If you don't like the final product, then don't make it again. If you can't choke it down for the lack of hoppy aroma, just buy a bottle of hop oil and put a drop or two in each glass.

Back