Budweiser/ or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woggers

Reaction score
I have a friend who is stationed in Germany on the border with that country with a lot of consonants in its name (czchslvk - something like that). Anyway he says he is drinking budweiser over there that tastes awesome. REALLY?!?! He is not a "bud" drinker. He says it is totally different and a pint will leave you feeling good (bud NEVER leaves me feeling anything but crappy). What is he talking about?

Are there any clones?

I did a report on the History of Brewing in the US a while back and although I don't remember the exact details, I believe Budweiser was actually a Bavarian style of beer brewed back in the old country. Aldolphus Busch and Ebehard Anheuser adapted the beer to American tastes which gave us the ultra light not very potent beer that we know today. One interesting thing I learned is that AB didn't use corn adjuncts as a cheap way to make their beer - it actually cost more to make than a regular barley malt beer - it was done because at the beginning of the 20th century Americans were turning away from strong full bodied beer and looking for the light, clear stuff.

If you're ever bored, read "Ambitious Brew: the Story of American Beer". A lot of my long held beliefs about American brewing were shot down by the time I got finished with the book!

I've had it a few times before, it's pretty good. In no way shape or form related to american Budweiser.

You can buy it in the States, but it is labelled "Budvar" to avoid confusion and due to trademark disputes. In many parts of Europe it is known as Budweiser.

If its the stuff from the Czech Republic, its a nice Pilsner! Totally unlike the watery junk that we get over here in the states.

My now-sister-in-law brought me a bottle from Prague, back when we were in college. It has since been dubbed "REAL Budweiser," to differentiate it from the Clydesdale product coming from Missouri.

czechvar is another name for it. excellant stuff!

i frequent a german resturant (mr. dunderbaks) they hold homebrew meetings there. they have something like 40 taps and a couple hundred bottles. the bartender there and i seem to share the same taste in beer. when i asked him to bring me something new he recomended a budwieser-... after i was done laughing he brought me a bottle of czechvar-... one of my favorite lagers to date.

We call it "proper Budweiser" ;)

It's pretty decent, and quite widely available here in the UK.

Back