Buddy's Spiced Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnerm109a6

Reaction score
I had some makings left over from a batch of spiced Graff, so I decided to try a braggot based on the same recipe. Added molasses because I was short on honey and raisins just because. After doing some reading, I found that molasses and raisins make for pretty good yeast nutrient.

Any opinions or pointers would be great!

2 lbs clover honey
8 oz molasses
45g crystal 40L
184g sparkling amber DME
1.6g Perle hops
2.5g orange zest (2" strip from a orange using a tater peeler, avoid the white stuff)
2.5g allspice berries
1.25g whole cloves
1.25g nutmeg ground (I think whole would have been better)
1" cinnamon stick
1/2 cup raisins

Steeped crystal for 10 minutes.
Boiled DME for 30 minutes with hops and spices (in bag).
whisked in honey and molasses.
Pored in carboy over raisins, added water to make 1 gal.
toped with airlock, rested for 24 hrs.

OG 1.105 on 17 August

Pitched yeast.

Attempting to keep temp below 70, tough during Oklahoma summers.

Yeast starter:
6 oz water
2 tbs DME
Dilute to SG 1.040
add .5 tsp yeast
Found an old flower vase that fits a bung and airlock, works perfectly.

Great action in the airlock after 12 hours.

Switched to a blowoff tube after the airlock got gunked up.

Tested gravity on 23 August

SG 1.055, this is about half way throurgh fermentation.

Degassed with the handle of a plastic spoon.

The sample tasted great, if a little sweet. Pretty new to the brewing game so I don't know how to describe it in brewing terms.

tasted the malt and hops with a little hint of the spices. I think the flavors will come out even more when the sweetness is reduced.

Tested gravity and degassed on 26 August.

SG 1.026

DSCF0582.jpg

I went ahead and racked it off into another carboy to finish. Tasted pretty harsh but I think it will mellow with age. Not going to crash it though, I may be able to get a little more ABV out of it yet.

What type of yeast did you use? I seem to be getting a yeasty flavor in my meads, and I believe it is from a lack of yeast energizer/nutrient.

Does it taste chalky/bready or maybe banana/marshmallow to you? Or more like intense alcohol flavor?

I want to try adding a large dose of black tea, raisins and lemon juice to help out my next batch but your recipe looks like a good start.

I used Nottingham yeast but in hindsight, Safale US-05 would have been a better choice because of the hot summer temps here in Oklahoma.

At my last sample, It defiantly tasted a strong alcohol taste with a pleasant spice/malt finish with a touch of the molasses. I tasted no chalky/bready or banana/marshmallow flavors although banana/marshmallow flavor would be pretty good if thats what the goal flavor was.

I thought about the black tea but decided not to get to crazy on my first mead.

I will be bottling it soon for aging, so I think this it will taste great for the holidays.

Yeah I had a wheat beer that came out with a banana/marshmallow hint that I didn't expect, but was pretty good.

It's pretty hot here in GA too, I might try the 05 or a wine yeast. I feel like the S-05 would be drinkable faster?

It makes sense that it would be drinkable a little faster if the esters from hot fermentation can be avoided. A couple forums and a podcast I listen to recommends S-05 for most brewing scenarios.

Do you use a fermentation chiller?

No my ac keeps it at 72, but I'm thinking I want a plastic container w some frozen water bottles to keep the fermenter that temp in the beginning.

Bottled the braggot and put it away for aging. Cracked a bottle at a club meeting and I was told to let it age until february. I was hoping for earler but I think it will be fantastic.

braggot.jpg

braggot1.jpg

Cracked a bottle at a club meeting. It defiantly aged well but did not carbonate at all, but I can live with it. It was a hit at the meeting.

Back