Bud Light Golden Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested in maybe brewing something *similar* to Bud Light Golden Wheat. I have a friend who doesn't have much money, but he does like the occasional beer. He's into light beer, but he really likes BLGW and I kind of like it too, when I'm in a mood for light beer.

Anyone have and suggestions on how to go about this? I won't mind if it's a bit more flavorful, but I hoe it will be close.

Lager yeast?, or do you think a light ale yeast would work as well?

How much wheat, etc??

What kind of hops?

never had it, but always wanted to give it a shot and see what it tastes like... hrm

My thoughts are this: It is an American Wheat beer. so 60% wheat (maybe a few percent of flaked), 40% barley (primarily 2row). US-05 to minimize yeast flavor. American hops for bittering only - no flavor or aroma additions. Ferment in low 60's. Keep your OG down to reduce alcohol.

I made this honey weizen kit from Northern Brewer and it turned out as a nice, light, fairly crisp beer with a hint of sweetness.

I didn't use any of the suggested yeasts and went with US-05 and fermented at 61 degrees.

I haven't had the bud light golden wheat before, though, so I don't know how close it would be to that.

So should I use this Budvar lager yeast I am building up? Or a clean Ale? I have a temp controlled chamber for lagering and am itching to do some more.

Also, I have Czech Saaz. Would that be appropriate?

So should I use this Budvar lager yeast I am building up? Or a clean Ale? I have a temp controlled chamber for lagering and am itching to do some more.

Also, I have Czech Saaz. Would that be appropriate?

Really the choice is yours.. Both the Budvar and the US-05 would work. Personally, I would save the Budvar for a true lager rather than a wheat beer...but Budlight wheat is a pretty light and crisp beer. Your hops are only for bittering anyways, so I suppose you could get away with the saaz. I say experiment...you and your friend might like your version better than BL. :mug:

I've never done a lager but I would use half wheat, but instead of the rest of the grain bill being barley, why not 30% barley and 20% rice? Or maybe a little less rice because it might make for a very difficult mashing with all of that wheat thrown in with rice.

You are trying to achieve a crisp, drinkable wheat beer with very little hop aroma, so follow the other advice for the hops but maybe consider some adjuncts to help dry it up and thin out the body a bit to help with quaffability.

I've never done a lager but I would use half wheat, but instead of the rest of the grain bill being barley, why not 30% barley and 20% rice? Or maybe a little less rice because it might make for a very difficult mashing with all of that wheat thrown in with rice.

You are trying to achieve a crisp, drinkable wheat beer with very little hop aroma, so follow the other advice for the hops but maybe consider some adjuncts to help dry it up and thin out the body a bit to help with quaffability.

Oh, good idea! I happen to have some rice from when I was going to do an American Lager, but I ended up using corn instead!

Ok, time to refashion this recipe. Move aside, work, I have something important to do! ;)

Back