BUD LIGHT clone, this sound right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason1973

Reaction score
0.25lb extra light dme
4.7lb dextrose
0.5 saaz 60min
us-05
this seem about right? or i have too much dme?

First.... Why would you want to clone Bud Light?

Second, No, not even close. There would probably be flaked maize and... Dare I say it??? Piss in the recipe.

Besides, Bud Light is an American Lager and what you have is a watery corn sugar ale.

Look for a good Cream Ale recipe, that is as close as you will get making an ale.

First.... Why would you want to clone Bud Light?

Second, No, not even close. There would probably be flaked maize and... Dare I say it??? Piss in the recipe.

Besides, Bud Light is an American Lager and what you have is a watery corn sugar ale.

Look for a good Cream Ale recipe, that is as close as you will get making an ale.

Rice, not flaked maize.

Wow. WTF Guys? There are a million reasons for wanting to know this info ranging from:

-A friend only likes budlight and I'm working him into homebrew
-It's great for those summer days after mowing the lawn
-general knowledge or
-I F***ing like it!

Either way, this forum is for people to get together and learn. You learn by asking questions, not by jacking with a guy who wants to know something.

Maybe this guy is brand new to homebrewing, and he just put an ad on craigslist to sell his stuff because obviously, "those guys" are a bunch of snobs.

There are other words I wanted to use in place of snobs, but I will temper myself for the moment

I've seen posted recipes for Bud Light clones. RO water, 2-row, rice (cereal mash), and American lager yeast.
Do your research. You cannot make this with DME, corn sugar, and ale yeast.

Old thread, I know.
I took no offense to the "piss" ingredient jabs. I know the opinion some have towards American beer sometimes.
I'm kinda with Craw3773 here though.
I'm a total noob w/ no experience brewing beer and was looking for a clone recipe or extract kit recommendation for whatever is as close to Bud Light as possible. It's the first thread that comes up though. Brew on!

I am not defending op and I dont normally reply to a dinosaur like this. I dont know op or have any part in this. That said I would like to welcome you to hbt and brewing if not done yet. This was clearly a joke from one brewer to another. I think it belongs in drunken ramblings thread perhaps and I can inform mod and let them decide. I can help you make a light lager.

Generally they arent a beer recommended for beginners. Traditionally requiring careful fermentation temp control and recipe considerations. I have a thread on warm fermenting them which will help you brew one untraditionally. Either way they do get better as they lager away.

You need small amounts of 2 row or pilsner malt, maybe 6 pounds, and 1.7 pounds of flaked rice. Just one small bittering hop at 60 even 90. A half ounce or so of saaz, hallertau, a noble hop or try something like citra for fun. Rack and let sit cold until they are crystal clear and you will have a tasty beer. Obviously there is as little or as much more to all this as you want, up to and including hardcore science and chemistry. Best of luck. My brew I realize doesnt taste like bud light btw. More like craft light lager.

@JordanfromOK take a look at this thread, some jokes but mostly serious.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/request-bud-light-clone-recipe.582014/

I agree with apple that cloning bud light is not a beginner beer, such a light beer faults have no place to hide.

Getting an extract beer to ferment dry can be challenging, a all grain approach will get you closer. Look into BIAB if you want to get your feet wet in all grain.

Look at this recipe as a start to getting experience with a light easy drinking beer.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/cream-of-three-crops-cream-ale.66503/

There are good American light lagers. I would not count Budweiser or Bud Light among them.

As pointed out, lagers in general are something any new brewer should research well and decide if it is within their abilities to brew. It was 5-6 years before I attempted a true lager.

Then start with a proven recipe instead of attempting to clone one.

30 years brewing and still have not done a lager, I keep looking at recipies but didn't have proper temp control. Now I have a glycol chiller and I will be attempting one. There is no place in a lager to hide flaws so I am still worried.

There is no place in a lager to hide flaws so I am still worried.
That's not true. Many homebrewers brew excellent Lagers, I gladly drink them.

At some point I started judging a brewery's accomplishments by how well they brew (and serve) their Lager(s). Yeah, most that do only have one, and often not year round. Or some abomination that has no style, but has a lot of merit.

It's the adjunct laden American Light Lager where there's not much to hide. They are a bit more difficult to brew without one or more small flaws showing up. Think about it, they're very close to spiked hop water.

But with good ingredients, healthy yeast pitches, proper cool fermentation, and 3 (to 6) weeks of lagering* German/Czech style Lagers are very doable. For example, look at the "Bitburger" clone recipes floating around.

* One or 2 doses of gelatin really speeds up the "lagering" process. Reinheitsgebot? Yeah, bill me.
The law of diminishing returns starts kicking in after 2-3 weeks lagering.

Last edited:
Chewed through some more early morning YouTube watching. Getting back on here after some yard work to confirm my thoughts.
Thank you all for the caution. I'll stick with something easier to pull off for my 1st beer. Still would like to go with an extract + a grain steeping.
I didn't think about a light lager not having much there to round out or cover imperfections (noob knowledge, ya know). Also, like kh54s10 said, I know I have next to no means of fermentation temp. control to do a true lager. Let alone for it to be my 1st foot in the door.

My SWMBO "created this monster", as she says, April of last year, so I think I'd like to try an Irish Red Ale kit and throw a gallon batch in my ferMonster with 4 gal of apple cider. Bearded 'n Bored's YT Graff video caught my eye as I got into all this for the cider. Just haven't pulled off a good one yet. Fell into wine/mead brewing first. Later yall

@ba-brewer Thanks for the Cream of 3 Crops link. That looks good to me. Have never tried an ale, but from what little I've picked up they sound like more of the way my taste buds will lean.

Would it be advised to try out Northern Brewer's extract Irish Red Ale, Cream Ale, or German Blonde kit before jumping into AG brewing?

All depends on how much you want chew off to start. Extract is less involved and get you exposed to the cold side process. All grain doing BIAB is not too difficult.

The cream ale or german blonde would produce close to the cream of three crop.

What size batch do you plan to make and what equipment do have so far?

Will do. Thank you. Sorry to mis-post too. I see up top that's this is under Drunken Ramblings.

I wouldn't mind doing a 5-6 gal batch to start off. Have a couple friends that are pretty (verbally) supportive of the idea. Have to gather bottles from the VFW, next door, before hitting bottling day though.

Equipment aquired:
6.5gal brew bucket (grommeted), 6gal FerMonster, and a couple 2.2 gal buckets fitted to brew in. Maybe 5 or 6 1 gal. glass carboys, but have quickly gone to being used to age lil experiments. Ciders, capsicumel, & wine ATM. As far as relevant equipment for beer (besides the 2 bigger fermenters)..3.5 gal pot to boil in. Huge (~7gal maybe) pitted out fryer pot and LPG burner with a messed up jets. Not planning on using the huge pot and burner again w/o a fix. Will have a few 5 gal glass carboys soon (For $20/ea.)too.

Thanks again. Will check what thread I'm in better.

Nothing to be sorry about the thread got moved after your first post.

I think a 3.5gal pot is too small even for an extract 5gal batch, 5gal pot or your 7gal pot is OK if you add top up water. A 10gal pot is big enough for a 5gal BIAB all grain beer. Maybe the 7gal if you add top up water, but 10gal would be better.

Don't really need 5gal glass carboys.

Sorry to mis-post too. I see up top that's this is under Drunken Ramblings.
No, you didn't mispost, the OP did.
Unaware, you only woke it up after a nearly 5 year deep slumber. We then moved it to the forum it should have been posted in all along.

We can still discuss brewing this kind of beer here, it was probably meant to be as it piqued your interest.

I think a 3.5gal pot is too small even for an extract 5gal batch, 5gal pot or your 7gal pot is OK if you add top up water. A 10gal pot is big enough for a 5gal BIAB all grain beer. Maybe the 7gal if you add top up water, but 10gal would be better.
He can brew a partial boil 5 gallon extract recipe in a 3.5 gallon pot, many do.

You boil only half the volume, 2.5 gallons or a bit more, and keep topping up with boiling water as you boil off volume. There's no need to boil an hour either, 20-30' is more than plenty for extract and perhaps even better. Just use a little more hops to make up for the shorter boil to get the same bitterness (IBUs).

Chill, add to the fermenter that has 2 gallons of cold water in it. Top up to 5 gallons. Pitch yeast. Place airlock.

Latest posts

Back