Bud clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naturallight16oz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i bought a bud clone from midwest, and tought about it being a lager after the fact. I'm not running my ferm fridge at those temps in 80 degree weather. so i plan on pitching a safbrew t-58 ale yeast that i have laying around. Any problems with this?

Not going to taste anything like bud, but you will get beer. I would think something like us-05 would be better if you could keep the temps in the low mid 60s, than t58 for a budish clone.

just curious, what makes it a lager besides the yeast? I just figured my grain bill would be classified as another kind of beer with ale yeast? forgive me i'm a noob.

Lagers ferment colder and longer - much different yeast behavior. In fact, you might want to switch out your yeast (if it's from a kit) with an ale yeast. As was said before, it won't be anything like Bud.

I'm not running my ferm fridge at those temps in 80 degree weather. so i plan on pitching a safbrew t-58 ale yeast that i have laying around. Any problems with this?

Why not, if you have a fermenting fridge?

T-58 gave me clove flavors when I used it

People tend to think that light lager bmc beers are easier to make before they dive in. I'd post the grain bill for review here and make an ale. Might come out pretty good.

6lbs domestic 6 row
2lbs Flaked Rice
8 oz Carapils
1.5 hallertau

anything i can add, or different hops maybe, to make a decent ale?

Looks good, FWIW if you have access to Bell's beer you may want to try culturing their yeast strain. I absolutely love the ester profile it gives when fermented in the low 70's.

Back