Buckwheat Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenmage

Reaction score
So I'm finally going to try and make a straight buckwheat honey mead. I absolutely love it for eating/baking, but haven't heard much good about meads. I'm trying 2 batches one with lalvin D47 and one with ec-1118. Both batches made the same as my clover mead that came out awesome. Just some black tea for tannins and a little bit of lemon juice, oh and some fermaid O... SG for both was 1.080.

Has anyone had luck with a buckwheat mead? I've read that there's a difference between east and west coast buckwheat honeys, but mines from a local apiary in northern MN so I'm not sure what to expect...

I made buckwheat mead, added peach and mulling spices in secondary.

Man it came out spicy but good, definitely has to age a bit and mellow out.

go to modern mead makers on FB and look through the file section.

Many good recipes on there for buckwheat trads, bochets and others.

Sorry mods if that was inappropriate for suggesting another site, if not allowed please delete.

So at seven days both batches are at 1.000 and the D47 has pretty much dropped out. Fermenting room temperature for the week has been around 60°, it's getting colder here. Looks and tastes pretty good right now...
IMG_20181106_133632.jpg

@Frankenfoot, your peach idea really sounds good! Super tempted to try a buckwheat mead or bochet with them, maybe some cinnoman. Make something like a peach cobbler mead.

So I snuck a taste of the D47 out of secondary yesterday, it's absolutely amazing! It could be the best tasting mead I've made to date. I get that everyone's tastes are different, but I don't get all the negativity around this amazing honey...

Ok so update, the d47 is amazing, the ec1118 though seems to have lost some of the more delicate flavors. I'm going to fine and bottle the d47 as is, and stabilize and rack the ec1118 on to 2.5 lbs blueberries...

EC1118 is a horse of a yeast, it's known to be neutral for its characteristics alone but it's stripped the aromas of a few of my meads.
It's a great yeast but if I'm wanting to preserve flavors and Aromas I try and pick a yeast that compliments the honey I'm using.

D47 is a great yeast as well, I use it alot and have recently gotten into matching yeast to meads.
Scott labs handbook is a great document to download if you want to further you hobby skills.

Does anyone blend buckwheat with other honey?

Every time I see a post about "buckwheat mead", it's 100%.

I'm yet to use it but have plans in the near future.
I have tasted it from the west and east coast. Named the same but is slightly different in flavors in my experience.

I like both but I believe I'll use the eastern for a mead.

I'm yet to use it but have plans in the near future.
I have tasted it from the west and east coast. Named the same but is slightly different in flavors in my experience.

I like both but I believe I'll use the eastern for a mead.
I used one from an apiary here in northern MN. Not sure how it compares to eastern or western. But it is really tasty!

Latest posts

Back