Buckwheat mash schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVILEMRE

Reaction score
Does anyone have a successful mash schedule for buckwheat? Also, how do you deal with combining other gf malts with it so both malts have maximum efficiency in the mash? Are you doing separate mashes and combining in the boil?
From what I understand buckwheat needs enzymes to convert, and millet has such a rigorous mash schedule they don't seem to be good partners.

I would be interested in an answer also. got a feild of buckwheat just for honey but if it can be harvested and made into beer, Win Win! 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use 20% to 30% buckwheat malt in every partial mash I do. I don't know about "maximum efficiency" at this point but I have found a few things. I like the head retention that the Buckwheat brings but I agree with others that the millet adds a better taste so I use millet as the base. Some advice I received on this post may be of interest:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/poor-efficiency-millet-buckwheat-460357/

My process right now is to serial mash the buckwheat at the same time as a 104F rest with the millet mash. Then I combine them for a 125F or 130F rest and they stay together after that for basically a schedule designed for the millet. This has seemed to work very well. I now use the Diatase enzyme recommended to me in the post above.

See also toward the end of this post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/gf-ag-first-attempt-questions-463175/
From this, I have come to the conclusion that my last enzyme rest has not been long enough. I will now be doing a 90 minute rest and testing (starch test and gravity) along the way to see if I can get all starch to convert.

Good luck and share what you learn!

I had a feeling you'd been through this already. I'll take all this in and create something. Being on this site I feel like we're all on the forefront of the gluten free beer revolution. Hopefully some of us will capitalize on this relatively untouched market.

Latest posts

Back