Buckwheat Beer Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoon184

Reaction score
I have roughly 2 lbs of malted buckwheat that is roasted and 8 lbs of malted buckwheat non-roasted (may roast some more still). Looking for a few brew ideas on what buckwheat goes good with and what type of beer is best to brew using buckwheat. I would like to try and just use all buckwheat and some candi syrup.

Any idea is welcome!

Current thoughts are Pumpkin ale, Brown ale, Oatmeal Stout, Black Ipa

Thanks!:mug:

Dude, here is my recipe for a Northern Brown Ale. You can substitute the Golden Syrup for amber Belgian syrup. And the oats are not essential, I just wanted to add them.

1lb Medium roast buckwheat crystal
1lb Medium roast malted buckwheat
250g Plain oats (not toasted)
250g Flaked millet (not toasted)
1lb of dark brown sugar
1lb of golden syrup
0.5oz Goldings 30 minutes
1oz Fuggles 30 minutes
1 teaspoon Irish Moss 15 minutes

Basically threw everything in at the beginning. Held the water at 160 for two hours. Pulled out the grains and washed them, then added that water back into the wort. Put in the hops and turned up the heat for a 30 minute rolling boil. Placed in carboy and topped up to 3.5 gallons with cold water. Placed in the sink and kept cold water around it to cool it quicker. Then threw in the yeast.

Back