Buckets-O-StarSan vs Spray Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow_Day

Reaction score
When I was first introduced to brewing, I was taught to mix up 5 gallons of StarSan sanitizer, slosh it from bucket to bucket and soak all of my post-boil equipment in the buckets. Then store that to use for bottling, or throw it out and mix up another 2.5 to 5 gallons when needed.

Taking advantage of this forum, I learned to not fear the foam, and to get a high quality spray bottle for "quick" sanitation needs.

The more I used the spray bottle, I realized that a 32 oz spray bottle, distilled water, and 1.5ml of StarSan is really all the sanitizer I need. Surfaces only need be contacted for a short period of time to be sanitized.

For buckets, sanitary surfaces and most other simple equipment, a thorough spraying is sufficient. I spray into my autosyphon and other tubing, and ensure that all the surfaces are contacted. For something like a carboy, I can open up the spray bottle, and pour a few ounces in and swirl. I do the same for kegs, and then force the remaining out of the dip tube and line with CO2 right back into the bottle.

No more buckets using .25 to 1 oz of StarSan to deal with. Just a spray bottle I can carry around with one finger.

I use both. Spray bottle for when I just need a quick spritz, and a bucket to throw stuff in and hold until needed when there's a lot going on.

That is exactly what I have been doing for years. I've gone through numerous spray bottles, the plastic trigger doesn't last long.

I spray my 5L yeast flask, 14g SSC Fermentor (all parts sprayed before and after assembly), and kegs. I've never had an infection. I was taught to clean and sanitize well, so I have always been very thourough. Works well for me.

I had the same transition from feeling like mixing an entire bucket was a waste of StarSan and time to just using a spray bottle all the time. I haven't had any bad batches since moving to the bottle either... I think the best advice would be to get a high quality spray bottle...

I use the bucket, but was never clear on how long the StarSan was good for. It does seem a waste to prepare a few gallons just to rinse a few items. Though I do run the StarSan through the hoses of the siphon. I feel better about soaking my hoses in StarSan. For that I'd rather spend a little more on StarSan than risk an infection.

The spray bottle is good for surfaces, but not as good for inside tubing (IMO).

I do fill up my bottling bucket and fill all my bottles using that StarSan to sanitize the inside. I am currently working on a better way (DIY bottle washer) to reduce my usage of StarSan and speed up my bottling days (until I go to kegging).

Question: when sanitizing bottles for filling, if you fill them with sanitizer do you then dump the sanitizer, or put it back into the bucket it came from?

i usually have an old keg filled with sani, and fill my spray bottles from that, and if i need to dunk any long hoses that may have fallen on the floor.

Question: when sanitizing bottles for filling, if you fill them with sanitizer do you then dump the sanitizer, or put it back into the bucket it came from?

No, don't dump the sanitizer. It can be used over and over. If you are using tap water, it will lose its effectiveness after a few weeks or so. Distilled water will extend that time.

I use both and I don't usually waste more than a gallon of star San when all said and done.

I use both and I don't usually waste more than a gallon of star San when all said and done.

Yeah. My main point is that it isn't necessary to deal with large volumes of sanitizer. I think a lot of brewers are hassling with larger amounts of liquid than they need, and maybe don't realize that they don't need to.

Thanks for this thread. I have been soaking everything for a minimum of 10 minutes. I usually go through 5G of StarSan on every batch. :mad:

I'm going out today and buying a spray bottle..... :mug:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24116&catid=626

I keep pimping these buckets on this forum, so much that they should start paying me. I use distilled water, mix up 2.5 gallons of sanitizer, then store it in one of the 3.5 gallon Life Latch buckets, then just get whatever I need when I need it. Every now and then I'll check the pH of the sanitizer to make sure it's still below 3.0, but it seems to last forever. With this method, I can dip tubing, run sanitizer through auto sipons and fill spray bottles, and never waste a drop of Star San.

Yeah. My main point is that it isn't necessary to deal with large volumes of sanitizer. I think a lot of brewers are hassling with larger amounts of liquid than they need, and maybe don't realize that they don't need to.

But I'm not hassled or going through more than necessary. In fact, it lasts me quite some time. When I do fill kegs with some star san, i dump it down the drain just in case there was crap I didn't get out from the previous beer. This all works for me, I haven't found a reason to change it. The spray bottle is used all of the time as well.

I keep pimping these buckets on this forum, so much that they should start paying me. I use distilled water, mix up 2.5 gallons of sanitizer, then store it in one of the 3.5 gallon Life Latch buckets, then just get whatever I need when I need it. Every now and then I'll check the pH of the sanitizer to make sure it's still below 3.0, but it seems to last forever. With this method, I can dip tubing, run sanitizer through auto sipons and fill spray bottles, and never waste a drop of Star San.

Are the lids screw off?

If you find the pH above 3.0, add a few drops of phosphoric acid, and you can keep using it. As long as the Starsan remains fairly clean, it keeps working. But stick a dirty wort filled hose in there and it's done.

I'm with you on those buckets. A very good man in our bulk grain buy keeps supplying them to us. Most use them for grain storage, mainly, but they are also useful for other things... like Starsan buckets and as you said elsewhere, fermentors.

I use both, but I never find making up more than 2.5 gallons necessary. I've also never been a fan of using it after about 2 weeks, even with pure distilled water in a bucket with a lid. Call me crazy, but I can pick up an odor after about 2 weeks. Maybe if you had one of those buckets with a perfect seal it would be better, but I don't feel like I'm wasting much when I use 1/2 oz. for every batch (Bottling included).

I use a pump sprayer like this for just about everything. I use RO water so it lasts as long as possible. I've used mine at times for several months before making a fresh batch.

I just make sure the sanitizer (Star San) is not being diluted from left over rinse water by spraying a couple of times or in the case of a keg, spraying some in, dumping, and then spraying again. This has worked well for me for several years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should one be concerned about these spray bottles not being food grade plastic?

I think that pump sprayer (mentioned in the previous post) is made for garden chemicals. It even has black rubber hose and I assume black rubber o'rings that are not food grade. Wouldn't that be a concern also???

Just askin' :confused:

i usually have an old keg filled with sani, and fill my spray bottles from that, and if i need to dunk any long hoses that may have fallen on the floor.

Anyone make up a spray wand to attach to the liquid out side of a corny keg?

Seems like you could store some starsan under pressure, no 02, and spray it on surfaces easy.

But I'm not hassled or going through more than necessary. In fact, it lasts me quite some time.

That's cool Hello. I'm not trying to challenge or ridicule anyones method that works for them. I just haven't seen this discussed much.

I was causing myself some hassle before changing my method and figured I was probably not alone.

Should one be concerned about these spray bottles not being food grade plastic?

I think that pump sprayer (mentioned in the previous post) is made for garden chemicals. It even has black rubber hose and I assume black rubber o'rings that are not food grade. Wouldn't that be a concern also???

Just askin' :confused:

It's a fair enough question.

The pump sprayer I linked has a polyethylene body, reinforced nylon hose, nitrile seals, poly sprayer wand, and looks like it has the same kind of dip tube as the small sprayers (Chapin model #20010). * I don't think it's any worse than the DIY beer line cleaners that many people use here. I don't know that they have any food grade certified pump sprayers of this type since its not a common application. YMMV

* I forgot to mention the manufacturer also lists general cleaning and watering amongst its uses.

Last edited:
I'm a sanitizer sprayer for most things, I also use a keg to store the surplus, I use the keg star San for pumping into my cleaned carboys, slosh then pour back into the keg.

And I can second a good sprayer, I use the dollar tree ones and I get a brew day or two out on them before they stop spraying.

Maybe a sweet bug sprayer type deal with the wand. I have a brand new one in the box I was going to use for bleach mix to kill moss on the garage roof at our cabin.

I'm not sure a food grade sprayer is required. Your filling it with a chemical not wort. If it's made for chemicals it should be O.K.

I mix up a gallon at a time, and keep some in a water jug and some in a sprayer. I usually manage to spill it transferring back to the jug, and so it maybe is around for 3-4 brewdays or bottling sessions.

I'm on my second bottle of star-san in 9 years. It's about 3/4 full. I sure don't use much of it!

It's a fair enough question.

The pump sprayer I linked has a polyethylene body, reinforced nylon hose, nitrile seals, poly sprayer wand, and looks like it has the same kind of dip tube as the small sprayers (Chapin model #20010). * I don't think it's any worse than the DIY beer line cleaners that many people use here. I don't know that they have any food grade certified pump sprayers of this type since its not a common application. YMMV

* I forgot to mention the manufacturer also lists general cleaning and watering amongst its uses.
Thanks...... it sounds like you've done your due diligence. You must have had the same concern....... I was mainly thinking of what might be leaching from the plastic and rubber but you addressed that well...... thanks again. :D

If any of you are like me, you've got other spray bottles with other stuff in there (bleach, water, CLR, etc). I color code with food coloring. 2 drops in the starsan bottle.

2012-12-15-at-104549-57647.jpg

I buy a gallon of distilled water at a time (from the car garage). I add star san, pour some out into an old pickle jar (useful size for soaking airlocks, stoppers etc.) and I fill a spray bottle. I then use the spray bottle for sanitising bottles & caps and the remainder of the gallon gets swirled around carboys, buckets etc. but gets poured back in its bottle at the end of the day. I don't brew anything like as frequently as some but this system works for me.

No freezes here. It's supposed to be 80F tomorrow, see you at the deep end of the pool!

Damn you! :off: And I was quite happy at being able to open the doors and windows for a couple of hours today to air the house out a bit. Central heating straight back on afterward.

Latest posts

Back