Buckets and blow off tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz_monroe

Reaction score
I'm making a Wit this weekend and know that I'll need to use a blow off tube. Typically, I'll use a bucket as a primary, but that's always with an air lock. Is there any technique for using a blow off tube with a bucket and lid?

All I do is set the bucket in a sink and put a pint glass over the hole. When the foam starts to settle, I remove the glass, put an air lock on and hose it off.

2113-small_0464.jpg

The siphon tubing that I have fits into the grommet in the lid of my bucket just fine. I believe it's 5/16" ID vinyl tubing.

I took a look at what I have on hand. I have a bunch of air locks. I whacked the piece that goes through the grommet off the airlock. I attached a piece of syphon hose to this. It will go through the grommet just like the air lock. I'll report how it works for me.

Brewing tomorrow.

Make sure you cut off the bottom of that airlock stem too, if it has the "cross hair" thing on it.. make sure it is just an open tube, no obsructions... those will get clogged and explode...

You can just stick a hose on the top of the airlock tube and run it into a bucket of sanitized water. When it slows down wash it and put the airlock back.

My heffe rocket out for a couple days... I have to place an airlock on it today at some point since it is almost done. Bottling this week, sending to a comp. in a week!

Pol

I'm pretty sure it was someone from this website that gave me this idea:

6.jpg

It works very well.

5gB

I wish I thought about that before I cut up that airlock. That would be much more convenient.

As an update, I brewed up a Wit today. I used a starter for the first time ever. That was about 12 hours ago and it's bubbling away. The blow off tube is in a gallon jug partly filled with water. No foam in the tube yet, but it may be soon.

fritz_monroe said:
I wish I thought about that before I cut up that airlock. That would be much more convenient.

As an update, I brewed up a Wit today. I used a starter for the first time ever. That was about 12 hours ago and it's bubbling away. The blow off tube is in a gallon jug partly filled with water. No foam in the tube yet, but it may be soon.
Watch that wit yeast. It tends to beach itself on your fermenter walls...so much so that fermentation can slow down (because the yeast has left the beer and is stuck on the walls.) IF this is the case, give the bucket a slight swirl to wash the yeast back into the solution. Nothing violent, just enough to knock the yeast back down.

Wit yeast is like a volcano...
Belgian_Blonde_2.JPG

Latest posts

Back