Quantcast

Bucket vs. Carboy for primary

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

pnj

Reaction score
I need to buy something to put the beer that I brewed last week in so I can use the bottling bucket for the Porter that's in my secondary.. So I need a new container.

This will leave me with a six gallon bottling/primary, a five gallon glass carboy and whatever I decide to buy today. I would like to start using a starter and a blow off. I know a few of you use the airlock without the bell thing and a tube shoved ontop of it.

I guess my delima is, a plastic bucket is cheaper but a carboy lets you SEE the beer.

I was thinking if I had a carboy for my primary I could use a larger blowoff tube, then go into my secondary carboy, then into the bottle bucket. Or, will using a large blowoff not be needed because I'm not really brewing large beers and I could get away w/ a thinner tube blowoff? (keep in mind, my beer ferments on carpet..:))

don't ya just love noobs.:mug:
thanks.

StoutFan

Reaction score
Bucket, more universal and virtually indestructible. No trips to the ER.

Nurmey

I love making Beer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Look at the very bottom of this page and you will find threads about this subject. Since it's a personal choice and they both work great, you really need to make up your own mind. One little thing I will throw out there is that you can buy 2 bucket primaries for less than the price of one carboy. Two is better than one! ;)

OP
P

pnj

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

The search thing doesn't seem to work well for me... But the bottom links will do great. thanks.