Bucket vs. Carboy for primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnj

Reaction score
I need to buy something to put the beer that I brewed last week in so I can use the bottling bucket for the Porter that's in my secondary.. So I need a new container.

This will leave me with a six gallon bottling/primary, a five gallon glass carboy and whatever I decide to buy today. I would like to start using a starter and a blow off. I know a few of you use the airlock without the bell thing and a tube shoved ontop of it.

I guess my delima is, a plastic bucket is cheaper but a carboy lets you SEE the beer.

I was thinking if I had a carboy for my primary I could use a larger blowoff tube, then go into my secondary carboy, then into the bottle bucket. Or, will using a large blowoff not be needed because I'm not really brewing large beers and I could get away w/ a thinner tube blowoff? (keep in mind, my beer ferments on carpet..:))

don't ya just love noobs.:mug:
thanks.

Look at the very bottom of this page and you will find threads about this subject. Since it's a personal choice and they both work great, you really need to make up your own mind. One little thing I will throw out there is that you can buy 2 bucket primaries for less than the price of one carboy. Two is better than one! ;)

Thanks guys.

The search thing doesn't seem to work well for me... But the bottom links will do great. thanks.

Back