Bucket v.s. conical v.s. unitank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Yesfan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much all the posts above, so won't repeat what's already been said.

For me, the biggest reasons for getting my CF-10 was.......

fermenting double batches in a single vessel
harvesting yeast/dumping trub
I like stainless.

I've scaled back a lot of my stuff since some of you all were talking about age (I'm 51). Like what's been said, priorities change as you get older. Now I'm down to the CF-10, Spike+, and a Fermzilla All Rounder 30L. Sold the 8 tap keezer to "downgrade" to a 4 tap Komos kegerator. No more lifting kegs over the top of a chest freezer.

If you can afford the conical, then get it. Truth be told, I think I would have been as happy with a couple of the larger All Rounders for the double batches, but I still don't regret getting the CF-10. You only live once. I've been looking at more to stream line my process to make it easier for me to brew at 70 when (if?) I get there vs when I started in my early 40s. Adapt and overcome. Brew on.

OakIslandBrewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much all the posts above, so won't repeat what's already been said.

For me, the biggest reasons for getting my CF-10 was.......

fermenting double batches in a single vessel
harvesting yeast/dumping trub
I like stainless.

I've scaled back a lot of my stuff since some of you all were talking about age (I'm 51). Like what's been said, priorities change as you get older. Now I'm down to the CF-10, Spike+, and a Fermzilla All Rounder 30L. Sold the 8 tap keezer to "downgrade" to a 4 tap Komos kegerator. No more lifting kegs over the top of a chest freezer.

If you can afford the conical, then get it. Truth be told, I think I would have been as happy with a couple of the larger All Rounders for the double batches, but I still don't regret getting the CF-10. You only live once. I've been looking at more to stream line my process to make it easier for me to brew at 70 when (if?) I get there vs when I started in my early 40s. Adapt and overcome. Brew on.
Yup, great to plan for the future, and a future that includes brewing!

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
The primary reason that I don't currently ferment in conicals is that I'm regularly brewing 6 gallon batches right now and more than half the time I choose to split that into two 3-gallon ferments to compare variables like yeast strain, temperature profiles, dry hop combos etc. I learn, take notes, share my findings and the beer with whoever listens and brew again. The rare cases where I bulk ferment 6 gallons for party beer or Hombrewcon doesn't really justify having the conical on hand. If I was more of a 10 gallon batcher, I'd be all over the CF15s.

WESBREW

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know if you could get 6g out of a CF5 but you could surely get 6g in. The CF5 =7 gallons total & CF10=14 gallons. Easier to push the upper limit on the CF10

Brooothru

Reaction score
I don’t know if you could get 6g out of a CF5 but you could surely get 6g in. The CF5 =7 gallons total & CF10=14 gallons. Easier to push the upper limit on the CF10
Yesterday I did a pressure transfer (2 psi, max, from a 7 gallon SS Brew Bucket with domed lid) of a Key Lime cider into a 5 gallon keg. Pre-fermentation volume was 24L/6.3 gallons. The cider was still transferring clear when the keg topped out, so I continued transferring into a spare 1.6 gallon Torpedo keg. Unclear how much went into the mini keg, but there appeared to be maybe 2~3L settled solids in the Brew Bucket.

Granted, there's not much debris from a cider or wine fermentation compared to the hops and 'break' material you get from beer, let alone the krausen. But you could certainly get 5.5+ gallons out of a 7 gallon capacity fermenter.

WESBREW

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds about right. It might be a little easier to do smaller batches on the smaller vessel. I did recently do a 1.5 gallon batch in the cf10. I could not use the sample port or cold crash it but it was a success

Yesfan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds about right. It might be a little easier to do smaller batches on the smaller vessel. I did recently do a 1.5 gallon batch in the cf10. I could not use the sample port or cold crash it but it was a success

1.5 gallons in a 10 gallon conical?? Talk about tons of head space. Impressive. How far up the conical did that batch go?

WESBREW

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like just shy of the sample port.

Attachments

• B766FBB4-45C7-4763-912E-EACA9FD8C5E3.jpeg
    B766FBB4-45C7-4763-912E-EACA9FD8C5E3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

WESBREW

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Its 14 gallons to the top edge. I think the bottom part of the fermenters are the same so i got up there near the sample port. Level dropped a bit with a quick trub dump. i got 1.25g out of that. the thermowell is higher up so i measured ambient temp inside, but also tried taping probe near the bottom of the cone, wrapped with insulation. It was only .8F cooler. worked pretty well. Anyway....lots of things you can use to ferment good beer. This one is pretty fun to use.

Yesfan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Its 14 gallons to the top edge. I think the bottom part of the fermenters are the same so i got up there near the sample port. Level dropped a bit with a quick trub dump. i got 1.25g out of that. the thermowell is higher up so i measured ambient temp inside, but also tried taping probe near the bottom of the cone, wrapped with insulation. It was only .8F cooler. worked pretty well. Anyway....lots of things you can use to ferment good beer. This one is pretty fun to use.

I have a sight glass on mine so with it and the elbow, the gallon markings are a quart off. Eh, I always try to add a bit more extra anyway for sampling.

renstyle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Someone was posting about 6 gallon torpedo kegs the other day... I am considering picking up (2) of them when I scale to ten gallon batches. I see them as easier to handle and compatible with my fermentation chamber. I could harvest yeast from them too and I don't worry about fancy dry hop rigs.

I've got a pair, and they work a treat! On mine the top weld line is almost exactly 21L/5.6gal, leaving plenty of headspace. Each keg can fill a standard 5gal corny keg to the gas post if you plan it right.

Yesfan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
.............Someone was posting about 6 gallon torpedo kegs the other day... I am considering picking up (2) of them when I scale to ten gallon batches. I see them as easier to handle and compatible with my fermentation chamber. I could harvest yeast from them too and I don't worry about fancy dry hop rigs......

Supposedly More Beer is going to offer a "big mouth" version of the Torpedos, maybe this summer. I'd hold out for them if you can.

Why No Higher End Picnic Taps? (post 253)

Cider123

Reaction score
New $249 conical from Northern Brewer:

Does anyone have any info on this conical? I was looking for a ss bucket and saw this. Close in price to the SSBT, but has the bottom ball valve and sturdier handles from what I can see.

Yesfan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on this conical? I was looking for a ss bucket and saw this. Close in price to the SSBT, but has the bottom ball valve and sturdier handles from what I can see.

I think the Delta is a better buy personally. They look identical, but Delta is cheaper and offers a thermowell and thermometer which the Reactor lacks.

Delta Ferm Tank