Bucket lid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patd

Reaction score
I ordered another primary fermenter from Midwest, and the lid does not have a rubber seal inside like me AHBS bucket. Is that normal, or do I need to go round up a lid seal at my local store?

Sorry for the stupid question....but I'd rather ask now than post up in a month that latest brew was ruined because my bucket wasn't sealed properly :)

I've used a bucket from them as well, but I didn't feel like it sealed well, so I never used it again. Mine was sealed so poorly that most of the carbon dioxide from the fermenter went out the sides, and not out of the airlock. Very nerve wracking, especially since you can't see inside the bucket. It now makes an excellent holder for my brushes, racking canes, mash paddles, etc.

None of my ale pails have a rubber seal inside.

It really doesn't matter, you realy don't want/need it to be airtight. As long as co2 is getting out, either from the airlock (thats it's intended purpose as a valve) or under the lid, you won't paint your ceiling with beer. And if co2 is getting out nothing is getting in.

Revvy, wouldn't it increase the odds of contamination if the lid wasn't airtight? Granted, by probably a miniscule amount, or do you think it wouldn't be enough to really worry about?

Nothing to worry about. I just did a Hefe with a shipping lid just laying on top. Turned out great.

Revvy, wouldn't it increase the odds of contamination if the lid wasn't airtight? Granted, by probably a miniscule amount, or do you think it wouldn't be enough to really worry about?

many folks just cover their fermenter buckets with a piece of plexiglass letting the co2 push out between where the plexiglass and the bucket meet. Others cover their carboy mouth with tinfoil. Totally ignoring the need for either an airlock OR a bucket cover.

A lot of folks, especially folks with arthritis, barely even put the lid on tight at all, they just lay it on top. again, if co2 is getting out, NOTHING nasty can get in. And that really is all that matters.

As I said, if co2 is getting out nothing is getting in.

It's really that simple.....

I don't know how I missed that in your first post. Looking at it now I feel like an idiot for not catching that. Gotta slow my eyeballs down I guess.

Back