Bucket for Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourfivesix

Reaction score
Had a smaller bucket I was gonna use for secondary with some coconut. Racked beer from primary onto it after 2 weeks making sure to fill from the bottom without splashing. However, the volume was a lot less than I thought from trub loss. I have a reasonable amount of headspace in the bucket. It's sealed and airlocked, hoping for no oxidation over the next 5 days with the coconut in there.

Thoughts?

For only 5 days a bucket might be okay. Typically you use glass simply because it allows less oxygen permeation and hopefully if you get it full enough the neck results in less surface area for any oxygen to diffuse into.

If you keg and have a CO2 tank you could blast the bucket to try to purge it with CO2 and eliminate any air from before filling.

Thanks for the response. Yeah I'm hoping it can make it 4 days without a problem. It's a 7% abv robust porter so it should be pretty resilient. I have a CO2 tank, but don't know how I'd purge with it

I've purged my carboy by taking the CO2 disconnect off the hose and opening the CO2 tank valve for a few seconds before filling.
I doubt you'll have any problems just leaving it as is for the 4 days. At this point opening the bucket and risking infection would be worse in my mind than risking the slight chance of minor oxidation.

I would just add the coconut to the primary and not bother with a separate vessel that makes you rack twice, and introduces the risk of oxidation (and infection).

Back