Bubbling krausen through the airlock :/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramiz09

Reaction score
So, my buddy and i brewed a McMenamins Ruby clone yesterday. Everything went great! OG was at 1.060.. everything went smooth. However, i think that during our boil, we didn't lose a gallon like usual, so when we added the additional gallon to the carboy, it was definitely our biggest batch, but there was plenty of of room between the liquid and the airlock. (LIKE 8 INCHES at least!) So, 12 hours after i pitched the yeast i woke up to find it had blown through the airlock, there was krausen coming through and a good 3 ounces on the ground. I quickly ran down stairs, changed the airlock, sterilized it and put it back on within minutes. its still bubbling, but how screwed am i?? thanks, guys!

Not at all....unless you still have an active fermentation which could cause your lid to blow off and send krausen everywhere. Other than that you are fine. Might be better in the future to create a blowoff tube for the first few days. I use a blowoff for up to 3 days after pitching. I have not had any overrun yet, but it's better to have it than not.

it isn't a big deal. hook up a blow off if you can. if you can't, take the airlock out, put the bucket in your bathtub or somewhere that can get wet and then clean and sanitize the lid and put the airlock back on when the krausen dies down.

try to ferment a little cooler next time.

A blow off rig would've been the better choice till it gets past initial fermentation & settles down. Otherwise,your OG may be lower than intended, giving a thinner mouthfeel. Boy,you guys are quick today. I was the 2nd poster til I hit reply.

A lot of brewers use a section of tubing to the airlock peg (without the 'hat' or cap. Then they will run the tubing to a jar with water in it that sits below the level of the airlock (per photos). This is a 'blow off' tube. Usually this helps with extra vigorous fermentation but I have never needed to use it!

Thanks, y'all! got the blow off tube on and she is fermenting comfortably! cheers!

Back