Bubbling in Secondary? (14 day brew)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenryals

Reaction score
Extract kit:

Road Dog Ale

quite simple.. slightly dark.. 6 lb light extract... some bittering

supposed to be 1wk primary, 1 wk secondary.

only 4 days left until i'm supposed to keg....

it's still bubbling in the secondary?

any clues why? this is my 6th brew.. so... i've not seen it do this before..

I did... started @ 1.048 and 2 days straight it was @ 1.018... then after racking it over, about 24 hrs after it started bubling again.. ??? it wasn't even bubling before at all, it had been about 2 days since the last bubble i saw..

it actually krausened up a bit as well.. what should I do? Rack it again before kegging? and give it a few more days to sit before carbing?

the week primary and week secondary are guides....brewing is not an exact science. Let it sit until you dont see any activity and then take a hydro reading....its only done when hydro readings from a few days apart match....why rush?! whats ur reading currently?

not sure i'm at work..

So do you think I should rack it again and let it clear in another carboy for a week or so after fermentation is complete?

not sure i'm at work..

So do you think I should rack it again and let it clear in another carboy for a week or so after fermentation is complete?

No, I'd just leave it. Its not unheard of for yeast to start up again in more active fermentation (they're always doing some sort of work) when you rack to secondary. Don't worry, relax, have a homebrew! Let it sit, the yeast will do its job. Wait it out and everything will be fine.

Cheers! :mug:

I'm in no hurry, i have a couple batches kegged up anyway.. .. but i think i will have a homebrew.. thanks for the invite ;)

I had bubbles in an IPA that I brewed after two weeks in primary and one week in secondary. What some people suggested was that the beer was just releasing trapped CO2 because of the dry hopping. Racking could have roused the yeast back into action. Any change in temp could have done the same. I kegged mine even though it was still bubbling and now I wish I had left it on for longer. My advice is to give it another week and see what happens.

the week primary and week secondary are guides....brewing is not an exact science. Let it sit until you dont see any activity and then take a hydro reading....its only done when hydro readings from a few days apart match....why rush?! whats ur reading currently?

Sorry dude, you can't have it both ways. If Brewing isn't an exact science then why bother taking hydro readings and determining it's only done when hydro readings match?

Sounds exactly like science to me.

Extract kit:

Road Dog Ale

quite simple.. slightly dark.. 6 lb light extract... some bittering

supposed to be 1wk primary, 1 wk secondary.

only 4 days left until i'm supposed to keg....

it's still bubbling in the secondary?

any clues why? this is my 6th brew.. so... i've not seen it do this before..

I just had the same thing happen. Was getting a bubble out of the airlock every minute or so. Transfered to secondary, now 2 weeks later it is burping every 5 seconds or so. Just let it sit until its done.

Back