Bubbling in Secondary? (14 day brew)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

stevenryals

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
238
Reaction score
3
Extract kit:

Road Dog Ale

quite simple.. slightly dark.. 6 lb light extract... some bittering

supposed to be 1wk primary, 1 wk secondary.

only 4 days left until i'm supposed to keg....

it's still bubbling in the secondary?

any clues why? this is my 6th brew.. so... i've not seen it do this before..
 

McKBrew

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
8,186
Reaction score
43
Location
Hayden
Still fermenting, should have waited to transfer.
 
OP
S

stevenryals

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
238
Reaction score
3
I did... started @ 1.048 and 2 days straight it was @ 1.018... then after racking it over, about 24 hrs after it started bubling again.. ??? it wasn't even bubling before at all, it had been about 2 days since the last bubble i saw..

it actually krausened up a bit as well.. what should I do? Rack it again before kegging? and give it a few more days to sit before carbing?
 

scinerd3000

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
2,123
Reaction score
16
Location
Milton
the week primary and week secondary are guides....brewing is not an exact science. Let it sit until you dont see any activity and then take a hydro reading....its only done when hydro readings from a few days apart match....why rush?! whats ur reading currently?
 
OP
S

stevenryals

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
238
Reaction score
3
not sure i'm at work..

So do you think I should rack it again and let it clear in another carboy for a week or so after fermentation is complete?
 

Pappers_

Moderator
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 31, 2009
Messages
17,908
Reaction score
4,404
Location
Chicago
not sure i'm at work..

So do you think I should rack it again and let it clear in another carboy for a week or so after fermentation is complete?
No, I'd just leave it. Its not unheard of for yeast to start up again in more active fermentation (they're always doing some sort of work) when you rack to secondary. Don't worry, relax, have a homebrew! Let it sit, the yeast will do its job. Wait it out and everything will be fine.

Cheers! :mug:
 
OP
S

stevenryals

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
238
Reaction score
3
I'm in no hurry, i have a couple batches kegged up anyway.. .. but i think i will have a homebrew.. thanks for the invite ;)
 

Belmont

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
246
Reaction score
1
Location
Spring, TX
I had bubbles in an IPA that I brewed after two weeks in primary and one week in secondary. What some people suggested was that the beer was just releasing trapped CO2 because of the dry hopping. Racking could have roused the yeast back into action. Any change in temp could have done the same. I kegged mine even though it was still bubbling and now I wish I had left it on for longer. My advice is to give it another week and see what happens.
 

HSM

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Messages
460
Reaction score
9
Location
McMurray, PA
the week primary and week secondary are guides....brewing is not an exact science. Let it sit until you dont see any activity and then take a hydro reading....its only done when hydro readings from a few days apart match....why rush?! whats ur reading currently?

Sorry dude, you can't have it both ways. If Brewing isn't an exact science then why bother taking hydro readings and determining it's only done when hydro readings match?

Sounds exactly like science to me.
 

kirscp

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
229
Reaction score
0
Extract kit:

Road Dog Ale

quite simple.. slightly dark.. 6 lb light extract... some bittering

supposed to be 1wk primary, 1 wk secondary.

only 4 days left until i'm supposed to keg....

it's still bubbling in the secondary?

any clues why? this is my 6th brew.. so... i've not seen it do this before..
I just had the same thing happen. Was getting a bubble out of the airlock every minute or so. Transfered to secondary, now 2 weeks later it is burping every 5 seconds or so. Just let it sit until its done.
 
Top