Bubbles!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argentum

Reaction score
I've got two gallons of cider going. I added some previously washed and harvested Nottingham yeast to one gallon of cider, then two weeks later I racked it onto a gallon of white grape peach.

It's very tasty, but over two weeks later it's still bubbling/fizzing when I take a sample. Because its fizzy it's hard to take a gravity reading but it appears to be about 1.010. It does not appear to have changed much in about 4 days.

Question: if it continues to fizz it must still be fermenting, right? Otherwise those bubbles would escape solution and I'd have a flat cider. So it's not stuck...and I guess it's not done? Any ideas? I've never had something take so long to ferment. Condition maybe, but I'd think fermentation would be done by now.

Last edited:
I've used Notty almost exclusively for my ciders (not tons, only a half-dozen batches or so, so far) and I've just gotten used to letting them sit at least 4 weeks in primary. I do use airlocks, and I'm used to it being that long before they finally stop bubbling (usually fermenting around 65-68 degrees). So, in your case, especially if you let it get started, then added more fermentables two weeks in, the idea of it being over 30 days doesn't surprise me.

It's like the song says: you can't hurry love.

:mug:

Back