Bubbles out of No-where While Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffceo24

Reaction score
Hi Guys, first time using a bottling bucket with spigot yesterday. This was a pale ale that was in the fermentor for 3 weeks.

As I was bottling via gravity feed using a bottling wand, a number of small bubbles were coming through the hose and into the bottles. I was getting nervous because I know that air is the enemy of beer at this stage. There were no leaks at the spigot and I couldn't hear air getting sucked in there either.

Could this have just been natural carbonation that was being released by the siphoning action?

Welcome.
How big are these bubbles?
Most likely degassing, unless you had a leak somewhere between the spigot and bottling wand causing a venturi effect.

Thank you mredge73.
I would say they are the same size as the bubbles that form when you first pour a beer. Larger than the normal carbonation that bubbles up when a glass of beer is sitting there but still not very large. I couldn't detect any leaks.

It is just CO2 coming out of solution. I suspect you have a spot in the bottlint line where you have some air, that is causing an interruption in the flow an a nucleation site for the CO2. If you get it next time, just tap the line next to the air bubble while it is flowing, and it should take it down the line and prevent this from happening.

Fortunatly, this will not hurt your beer.

Thanks Calder, that is a relief to hear that! Your scenario makes total sense. I will try that trick if it happens next time. Thanks again

Back