Bubbles on top after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipadelphia

Reaction score
Morning all, I've never had an infection before..and just wanted to gauge everyone's opinion on my 2 beers here. The first one has a couple large bubbles that have formed on top, and the other has a ton of small bubbles (used 4oz of cocoa powder in that beer). I slightly shook them earlier to see if they'd reappear, so there was definitely a few more bubbles than the pictures show. Is this a lacto infection starting in each beer, or just weird yeast activity?

BTW for the porter (second pic), tiny little bubbles are constantly forming and either popping or aligning themselves with the larger bubbles. I've never seen so much weird movement on the top of a beer before 11 days after brewing.

Thanks all

20140101_091725.jpg

20140101_091742.jpg

Unfortunately the second beer had WAY more bubbles than that picture justifies. I slightly shook it to pop them, but that's basically what it looked like, just a lot more of them.

The first one looks ok so far. But the second one def looks like the start of a lacto infection. That broken ice pack look with slimy white bubbles is the give away. All the more reason to be sure everything used to rack the beer to secondary is CLEAN before sanitizing. Otherwise,you're just saniting dirt. Plus minimal head space in secondary is always best,as little co2 is being produced at that point to fill a larger head space to keep air out.

Back