bubbler vs. 3-piece

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bc23

Reaction score
Alright, please be patient with these questions, but I just have no clue about these. How does the bubbler work?? I've read that the bubbler is better for a secondary so it can monitor the pressure inside...How do I do that?

I received a bubbler in one of my kits, but I've never used it, and have just been sticking with a 3-piece on my secondary. Should I use the bubbler instead?

Thanks much!

Three piece is better, because its easier to clean.

The bubbler can monitor internal pressure, sure.... but what does that mean for your beer??? nothing, that's what.

i noticed you can kind of monitor the pressure in the 3 piece. I just racked a brew to my secondary yesterday and i added 8 oz of malto dextrin. The small inner cup was resting all the way in the down position. This morning it creeped up a tiny little bit. I am assuming that the gas might be from the low amount of fermentable sugar in the malto dex being eaten by the yeast

I like the "S" shape because it is easier to see movement, which, most times, absolutely farging does mean something about your beer.;)

I use which ever I grab first from my box of stuff....

The three piece ones are easier to clean if you get krausen blown into it.

The S-type will clog easier than the three-piece.

A blow-off tube is a better option that either of the above if you expect a very active fermentation (or if you have a small-ish carboy). Nobody likes cleaning up after a wort eruption.

Latest posts

Back