bubblegum flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonQuixote

Reaction score
I have a recurring problem with a bubblegum flavor. It's not every batch.
I've tried to research this and what I read is mostly guesses and hunches.
I have my own theory that differs from most of what I read about fermentation temps and stressed yeast. I'm starting to believe it's a protein problem. Maybe too much trub is making it's way into the fermenter. In order to combat this I've started to incorporate an acid and protein rest in all my brews. I also try to be very careful about leaving as much trub behind as possible. If I bottle carbonate I will get a haze in most of the beers that have this flaw.
Is there anyone out there that knows something to be 100% correct?

The only time I ever go a bubble gum flavor in a beer is when I overpitched yeast and the temperature got very hot.

Ever since I got a fermentation chamber = no more bubblegum.

Some yeasts are notorious for fermenting vigorously and the heat gets out of control unless the temperature is controlled (such as Safale US-04).

Excessive trub more than likely is not causing the bubblegum.

More information would help, such as what yeasts are you generally using? As well what temperatures are you fermenting at (a rough estimate of your fermentation area if you don't have temp readings for the fermenter)?

I BIAB so I have a very fine grind on my grains and I basically just dump the entire kettle into the fermenter each and every time I brew up something. IPAs with tons of hops or beers that have spice additions in the kettle are the only beers I will not dump the entire kettle into the fermenter. The *only* time I have bubblegum show up in my beer is when I ferment 3068 above 70F, theres a tiny bit that shows up in my saisons when they are young but it conditions out.

Yeast strain, ferment temps and control of temps, yeast pitch rate/health of yeast/aeration of wort, and sanitation are probably going to be your primary suspects for locating the culprit.

Thanks Guys,
I read that thread earlier. I just read this in my ongoing search.

https://beersensoryscience.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/esters/

Maybe I need to oxygenate my wort a little better. I use S-05 and S-04 the most. I ferment with an ambient temp of 68.

68 ambient temperature would make it easier to work with the US-05 as it tends to stay cleaner even going into the 70s.
As for US-04, it can throw off a ton of esters if it's not fermented in the low 60s, and if the ambient temp is 68 US-04 can bring up the temperature of the actual beer up to 10 degrees higher as been reported by some.
When I ferment with US-04 my fridge cycles on to cool several times even when ambient temp was in the low 60s... so that sucker gets hot!

Oxygenating is a good way to help prevent unwanted flavors too :mug:

Thanks Guys,
I read that thread earlier. I just read this in my ongoing search.

https://beersensoryscience.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/esters/

Maybe I need to oxygenate my wort a little better. I use S-05 and S-04 the most. I ferment with an ambient temp of 68.

With an ambient temp of around 68F, even if your ambient was down around 62-64F, you will gain 5-10F during peak fermentation, sometimes more.

If I pitch at 62F and my basement's ambient temp during the winter is 58F, with a big pitch my ferment temp will hit 72F within 18 hours and that's with a quite chilly basement that's working against all the heat the yeast is giving off.

I'd bet quite a bit of money ferment temp is your primary issue, and then oxygenation. (Disclosure I do not use a pure O2 system, I open the spigot on my kettle and let it pour into the fermenter so I get lots of waterfall type splashing)

Agreed, my money is definitely on too high of a temp for the fermentation. Some Belgian ales ferment at higher temps to get that affect.

Back