Bubble Gum WLP005

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettg20

Reaction score
So I just kegged 2 batches brewed with the same harvested WLP005 yeast. Both have a bubble gum aroma which I've never had before. Is there any way to save these? I am thinking of letting the kegs sit at room temp for a couple of weeks to see if things can clear up. I fermented around 64 and let these clear up in primary for 4-5 days after FG. I crashed with gelatin so am wondering if warming these up will help out any? Any advice welcome

The more I think about it the more stumped I get. I just kegged the brown ale last night and I didn't pick up any bubble gum flavor. The beer is still very flat so maybe it is just too green of a beer at this point?

Bubble gum taste sounds like WLP500 instead of WLP005. Could you be dyslexic?
Just kidding.
I love the bubble gum taste in my Trappist beers. I'm disappointed when I don't get them.

Bubble gum taste sounds like WLP500 instead of WLP005. Could you be dyslexic?
Just kidding.
I love the bubble gum taste in my Trappist beers. I'm disappointed when I don't get them.

Haha...no. Going to let these warm up and take a sample in a couple of days. Just really weird that I am getting bubble gum now and not in any of my samples including when I kegged. I ususally don't take a sample from the keg until 1 week on gas so maybe I am testing too early and this has something to do with the CO2...

i got the bubble gum flavor a couple of times before. i believe it's from some fruity esters that just make our brains think "bubble gum." i wasn't ever truly sure where it was coming from until i tasted my first saison.

if you're sure about your ferment temps, i concluded that for me it was actually coming down to pitching rates. i was trying out a technique i read about that was basically using half the batch as an oversized starter, then pouring the other half into the fermenter 24 hrs later. it was a good idea in theory, but in each of those batches, i was getting that flavor, and none of them were supposed to have it according to the style and the yeast. after i stopped this method and went to either vitality starters or cell growth starters, i've not had the ester profile show up except once... in a hoppy heffeweizen!

Back