BU:GU ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
I have noticed this ratio of Bittering "Units to Gravity Units on some sites. I am wondering what information can be gleaned from this.

I am brewing a strong Belgian Abbey ale tomorrow. OG of 1.080 Right now my recipe IBUs are set at 30. This gives me a BU:GU ratio of .38. Do standard balance issues go out the door with such a big beer? Other Abbeys of similar ABV I have seen have IBUs in the range as low as 20-22. That just seems way out of whack to me.

I use it just to compare balance with my other brews. It's just another thing to look at. There is no "correct" number.

I like to use it. I usually consider .5 to be balanced. It's helpful to decide how many IBU's a beer should have if it is low gravity, high gravity, etc. A barleywine with 70 IBU's is different than an IPA with 70.

It can be useful information to know when creating your own recipes. You can research how your beer would compare to similar beers or styles. Ray Daniels uses it a lot in Designing Great Beers. It's probably a more "accurate" number to predict/measure perceived bitterness since it accounts for gravity and alcohol rather than just straight IBUs.

Back