BTUs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
Since I dont think my stove will be able to boil even 2 gallons of water well enough I think I am just going to get a propane burner. I am not going to do full boils until I can get a chiller but I would like to get a burner that will be able to do full boils when im ready. I just need to know roughly how many BTUs that I would need. I know the more the better but the more also usually means more expensive. Thanks

There's a $45 Bajou Classic "Patio Stove" at Home Depot that I would highly recommend. 150k BTUs, it works great even on full boils, and unlike one of the other burners I use (the BC Banjo Cooker), it's pretty easy to control the flame.

da6d1292-e9c0-434c-a1c1-7c72addb3ebe_300.jpg

Or, lots of people use basic turkey fryers (I think 55k BTUs), which would also get you a big pot (albeit usually a thin aluminum one). But, all you would really need then to do full boils would be a wort chiller. I'd go with the patio stove, myself; more than enough power for whatever you'll end up doing, and the pot that comes with most turkey fryers you'll end up wanting to replace anyway.

I'd just recommend a turkey fryer to get you started. More than enough BTUs for full boils, and you can find them for $30-40. In fact, I use the regulator and burner than came on mine on my brew stand and it works fine even for 10 gal batches.

the_bird said:
There's a $45 Bajou Classic "Patio Stove" at Home Depot that I would highly recommend. 150k BTUs, it works great even on full boils, and unlike one of the other burners I use (the BC Banjo Cooker), it's pretty easy to control the flame.

Or, lots of people use basic turkey fryers (I think 55k BTUs), which would also get you a big pot (albeit usually a thin aluminum one). But, all you would really need then to do full boils would be a wort chiller. I'd go with the patio stove, myself; more than enough power for whatever you'll end up doing, and the pot that comes with most turkey fryers you'll end up wanting to replace anyway.

I'm planning on buying one of these from HD but, I can't figure out how to get it higher. I was contemplating bolting on some angle iron to boost its height but it doesn't seem like it would be stable enough. Does anyone have any ideas on getting this thing off the ground?

Maybe a sporting goods store like Academy or Gander Mtn?

Why the adversion to ordering online? I gave a link where you can buy one.

Lil' Sparky said:
Maybe a sporting goods store like Academy or Gander Mtn?

Why the adversion to ordering online? I gave a link where you can buy one.

No aversion. I was just hoping to avoid shipping charges if I could find it locally.

Thanks.

the_bird said:

Bird, why do you have to post stuff like this?! I'm starting to get the AG itch and this really isn't helping me! :D

the_bird said:

I was doing a little research here and found a discrepancy. The Home depot site list this as a 150k btu burner with a 15 psi regulator. The Bayou Classic website has this as a 55k btu burner with a 10 psi regulator. Both sites have the same mfg item number listed. Also just as a sidenote the bayou classic website now has a liquid temperature control valve listed as an accessory. I am just gathering my equipment to start brewing and wonder if this is a nice option to have.

Link to bayou classic http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/sq14_propane_burner.htm
Link to temp control valve http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/cb001_1_temperature_control_valve.htm

mr_cad said:
I was doing a little research here and found a discrepancy. The Home depot site list this as a 150k btu burner with a 15 psi regulator. The Bayou Classic website has this as a 55k btu burner with a 10 psi regulator. url]

Your descrepancy is correct. The HD box say "up to 150k btu's" of course that's if you supply a higher psi regulator. It will still perform nicely in most cases

mr_cad said:
I was doing a little research here and found a discrepancy. The Home depot site list this as a 150k btu burner with a 15 psi regulator. The Bayou Classic website has this as a 55k btu burner with a 10 psi regulator. Both sites have the same mfg item number listed. Also just as a sidenote the bayou classic website now has a liquid temperature control valve listed as an accessory. I am just gathering my equipment to start brewing and wonder if this is a nice option to have.

Link to bayou classic http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/sq14_propane_burner.htm
Link to temp control valve http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/cb001_1_temperature_control_valve.htm
That temp control valve looks neat for heating oils, but I don't think it's of much use for boiling. With this type of equipment at atmospheric pressure, you are going to hit your boiling temperature and not move from there. Put your cash into a CFC.

devils4ever said:
I'm planning on buying one of these from HD but, I can't figure out how to get it higher. I was contemplating bolting on some angle iron to boost its height but it doesn't seem like it would be stable enough. Does anyone have any ideas on getting this thing off the ground?

instead of buying the turkey fryer, buy the fish fryer. It's the same BTU but sits a little higher - not as much stooping over.

Wait a week after Thanksgiving and turkey fryers will be cheap. I bought mine with an 11 gallon SS pot for $80.

The 55,000 btu works fine. I get a big brew boiling pretty quickly.

Back