Bry 97

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmith1279

Gridiron Beerworks
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Disappointed in my latest brew. I did a mild hopped IPA. Everything went perfect on the brew. Pitched a new yeast for me, Danstar Bry 97, and had no fermentation after 48 hours.

I pitched a pack in each of my bucket fermenters (10G batch) @ post plate chiller 63 deg, and placed in my ferm fridge with the ranco set at 68. After 36 hrs and no sighs of fermentation I bumped temp to 73 just to see if I was too cold. Nothing. Pulled lids and no Krausen was present.

Anyone else have a similar issue with this? Just seems odd that I'd have the same problem on both packs. BTW, I grabbed my old stand by US-05 and pitched one in each.

I'll review with Dave at High Gravity on the 9th to get his feedback. They are a great LHBS.

I've only used BRY 97 once, and it took a long time to take off, temp was kept at 68. Went fast once it started.

It was a bit estery - not sure I didn't like it, but there's yeasts I like a lot more, and BRY 97 costs more than other comparable yeasts around here (such as US-05 or Notty).

Good luck!

Same as above . Took 3 days for mine to do anything and it was too estery @65 for my blonde ale. I got mine for free, I know Northern Brewer sends it a lot, but I probably probably wouldn't choose to use it on my own

Used BRY-97 on a few different styles recently to check it out:

A simple extract-only California Common with Magnum/Cascade. Found it too estery at first, but after about 5 weeks in the bottle it smoothed out nicely. I might would try this one again BIAB/AG.

A partial-mash/BIAB Rogue "Dead Guy" clon-ish / inspired ale (Perle/Saaz). From the moment it was carbed it was great, and continues to get better with time (about 2 months now). I'll probably be making something very much like this one again, and probably with this very yeast.

A PM/BIAB Maris Otter IPA with Columbus and HBC342 hops. That sucker was so malty and so hopped up I couldn't tell you if the yeast type would have made any difference. Might as well have used US-05.

All three of these were dry-pitched and all also took about 3-4 days to get going at 63°F, but then they attenuated fast and flocced well.

I've used it once for a cherry wheat I did. Like others have said, it took about 48-72 hours to start doing anything. I've read a few threads on BRY-97 and that seems to be the general consensus. My beer turned out pretty good. I have read that it doesn't let the hops shine through as much as US-05 or WLP001. And like BorealBrewer said, I don't usually use it because it's more expensive than US-05.

Thanks. After pitching the US05 it took off in 12 hrs so not sure if I woke up the 97 or if the 05 took off.

@Schumed: I didn't rehydrate. I've never had to do so with other dry yeasts and personally look at having to do so as just another variable in the brewing calculus. I did read on the 97 package that it recommended that step, but decided against it

I appreciate all the feedback.

I used Bry 97 for the first time on the Jan 4th. I did rehydrate it, with a bit of cooled wort, and it took off at the 24 hour mark. The airlock was very active for the first 3 days, and continued to show activity for 2 or 3 days more. It's been 10 days now and I will be checking the gravity (og =.052) in the next few days.

I've only used BRY-97 on one batch so far, but I'll almost certainly use it again.

It was a summer pale ale mashed at 153, Warrior for bittering and late hopped with an ounce each of Citra/Amarillo (OG=1.050, 36.5 IBUs). Chilled and pitched rehydrated BRY-97 at 62*F. Initial ferment held at 64*F (beer temp). Airlock was bubbling gently and steadily early the next morning (about 15 hours after pitching). After a few days, it began to ease off, so I bumped it slowly over the next few days to 68*F where I left it to reach FG + 5 additional days before cold crashing (which left a quite clear beer) and kegging.

The ferment using this strain (which I have heard is similar or the same as 1056) was very clean, allowing both malt and hops to come through nicely. I got no esters from it at all.

Brewed a DIPA, with a pliny like recipe but getting a bit higher, up to 1.074. I rehydrated BRY97 and made a starter before pitching. It started pushing the lock after less than 12h and fermented in line with 1056. It ended at 1.008. The hops shined as much as in a pliny but in the taste, the malts and resins are a bit more prominent than in a pliny-like recipe. Outstanding yeast, even for the liquid yeast brewer. If you like your IPAs malty, use this yeast.
:mug:

Just tried BRY97 in a cream ale.

Brewed with an expired pack a week ago and pitched the whole works with no rehydrating (had a slurry ready if it didn't take). Took off in 24hrs, had a low kreusen at 48hrs, had a large-ish 1-1.5" rocky kreusen at 96hrs.

Looks like it's wound down quite a bit, but the kreusen's still firm and about 1" thick. I'm curious to see how it turns out and if it ends up close to US05. Would be nice to have an alternate but only if the cost is close.

Back