Brutus 20 v2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
For xmas I'm looking at getting a welder. With this, I plan on practicing and building a small brew stand to upgrade from my wood stand I currently have. I then plan on upgrading my braid with a false bottom, fly sparging, getting a plate chiller and finally a second pump. Here is my question. I have heard that with the workings of a normal Brutus 20, that without a vessel to hold the runnings, I am limited to the size of the brews I can do. I like the ease of just reaching equilibrium, however I like my efficiency as well. Right now I pour my first and second runnings into a bucket and transfer to the kettle. Same with the third runnings. So, I currently have two options.

1. Recirculate until I hit equilibrium
2. Incorporate a holding vessel, then transfer runnings with a pump to the boil kettle. (I would use an 8 gallon pot w/ sight glass and valve.)

What would you guys do? Simplicity or efficiency?

Back