brutus 10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtrunks2001

Reaction score
i have been looking to build a system like this. I have emailed the creator a few times but have not heard back from him. does anyone know where i can get the plans for this system?

i have been looking to build a system like this. I have emailed the creator a few times but have not heard back from him. does anyone know where i can get the plans for this system?

Wow, now I get a lot of email, but I don't recall getting yours. Hit me up again my friend. [email protected]

If I missed you I am sorry buddy! I am always on here...

by out of date, do you mean the electronics? or the burners?

As I recall there were a few things out of date. I suggest replacing the gas ball valves for needle valves (finer control), and getting the Tejas smokers burners.

These two upgrades will help you tremendously. Good QD's are essential as well but will cost you a grip.

Why not design your own? I'm sure you already know what you would like and could benefit from tweeking the design a bit to fit your space or needs better.

That's half the fun!

I tend to agree, make the changes you need to to suit your own requirements. My system relied heavily on Lonnie's original design but I changed things I needed to and it's worked out well for me.

Who me? Here's some reposts:

photo-9-1.jpg

photo-3-2.jpg

photo-5-1.jpg

photo-9.jpg

photo-2.jpg

I always wondered how the 8020 aluminum extrusions would hold up to the heat. Looks as if they are doing fine.

I was thinking about using the quick disconnects as well but ended up going tri-clover. The QD would be much faster to assemble but I couldn't pass up using the tri's once I had them. How well does that plate chiller work for you? I use about 1 gallon of tap to cool 1 gallon of wort. I'll have to time it next time but I think it's about 1 - 1.5 minutes per gallon. Ever think of using the plate chiller as your wort temp control instead of circulating thru a coil in the HLT?

BTW, very clean look to the control panel. Very nice

Yeah the aluminum is fine. It gets hot but not that hot. I've burnt myself a few times but nothing major, just a few minor 1st degree burns. You learn fast not to touch the frame. Usually during mash/sparge, the frame on the right side can be touched but not during boil on the left side.

Plate chiller is great, it cools very fast, usually around 7 minutes with 50 degree cooling water, 5 or so with ice water. The main problem with the plate chiller is hop debris. I usually use a hop sack but I have found hop utilization is low with this method. I now use whole leaf and a Blichmann false bottom in my BK and this works well for pales and such but is susceptible to clogging on higher loads or if you get a batch of whole leaf that is more petal/less cone. Whole cones work fine like this. I'm thinking of trying the hopblocker for my pellet boils but I'm not a huge fan of the design.

Back