BRUT IPA: What is your favorite aroma hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechFanMD

Reaction score
I brewed the below recipe for Brut IPA. I really love this beer, and how it showcases an extraordinarily bright hop aroma. I used Mosaic, which some don't care for....and which I can see myself tiring of quickly. I can also see where people get a 'cat pee' essence from it.

Because this is almost all dryhop, with very little given by the bittering hops, what would you use?

For the below: I would cut back the dryhop by 3oz. It is not too much in this beer, but I don't think I would have lost a lot either (would still be very good) and could save some $. This is a cheap grainbill, I would really like to find a reasonably priced hop to go with it, but the main goal is something I really like.

My preferences: A well liked hop, one that most wouldn't perceive as cat piss, and possibly a bit of fruit flavor (pineapple?).

Batch size: 5 gallons
OG (Measured) 1.050
FG (Measured) 0.999
Mashed 1hr at 140F (BIAB in a cooler)

GRAIN BILL
8 lb Pilsner malt
1 lb flaked corn
1 lb flaked rice
HOPS
3 oz Mosaic [12.25% AA] at Whirlpool (to be honest I didn't add until 140*F by accident)
7.5 oz Mosaic [12.25% AA] at Dry Hop
YEAST
US-05
5g Glucoamylase (at yeast pitch)

IMG_1639.jpg

I would cut back the dryhop by 3oz.
This, bigtime. I don't have any input on the type of hop, as questioned in the OP, but just wanted to chime in. I listened to a potcast (Brulosophy, i think - e 71 or 77?) that did some work and cited some work related to dry hopping amounts. It turned out there is a threshold (oz/gal) that favors certain flavors, and going above/below that changes the profile. Something about 2oz/5gal was the sweetspot. 0-2oz/5gal for a couple days would give you the nice aroma that is characteristic of that hop. But then going above that threshold, and the flavor/aroma turns toward grassy.

So my first thought when i saw your 7.5oz was that you wouldn't get more of the same flavor than a lesser addition, but a completely different character than say a 2oz shot.

The one you have that smells the best..

That would be great if I had a fridge full of a wide variety of hops, already open that I could smell.

I can buy any hop I want (that is available at retail), and certainly don't have experience to know what they all smell like or what flavor they might add - what I need are suggestions for ones to look into that people really like for aroma as a standalone.

There are charts with aroma and flavors, but I was hoping for experience and preferences from the community. Why? Because you don't go to MoreBeer and read that Citra can smell like cat piss, or that another hop can reek of onion.....

Unfortunately that’s the risk you run. You have no clue what the hop will be like until you open the bag. Hops can be so different. Someone could recommend a hop that has been great for them but then the stuff you buy might be horrible. There’s not much you can do about it. I’ve got some Amarillo that smells like a tire fire that I would never dry hop with. I’ve got some Nelson that’s straight grass and diesel fuel. Unfortunately as homebrewers we have zero control.

For me the Australian hops seems to be the most consistent when it comes to potent aroma. Enigma, Galaxy, Vic Secret, Ella. They’re more expensive but often times worth it.

Unfortunately that’s the risk you run. You have no clue what the hop will be like until you open the bag. Hops can be so different. Someone could recommend a hop that has been great for them but then the stuff you buy might be horrible. There’s not much you can do about it. I’ve got some Amarillo that smells like a tire fire that I would never dry hop with. I’ve got some Nelson that’s straight grass and diesel fuel. Unfortunately as homebrewers we have zero control.

For me the Australian hops seems to be the most consistent when it comes to potent aroma. Enigma, Galaxy, Vic Secret, Ella. They’re more expensive but often times worth it.

Yikes, a tire fire and diesel fuel. I actually know what smell you are referring to, as I have experienced it. Thanks for the advice.

I love mosaic but I would blend it with something, and cut the DH down big time. My personal brut per 6gal has around 4.5 oz of a 3 hop mix for WP (180ish) and a DH of 3 to 4 oz after pre gluco fg is hit. Then gluco and DH at the same time.

For mix nothing beats mosaic and centennial for me. A great mix if you want to exclude mosaic was around 1.75 part citra 1.75 El dorado 1 Galaxy. Same approximate proportions WP and DH.

I love mosaic but I would blend it with something, and cut the DH down big time. My personal brut per 6gal has around 4.5 oz of a 3 hop mix for WP (180ish) and a DH of 3 to 4 oz after pre gluco fg is hit. Then gluco and DH at the same time.

For mix nothing beats mosaic and centennial for me. A great mix if you want to exclude mosaic was around 1.75 part citra 1.75 El dorado 1 Galaxy. Same approximate proportions WP and DH.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

I’ve not hard to waiting to add enzyme until DH. I’m intrigued. What is the reason to add later (rather than at yeast pitch)?

My logic for the combo pitch is to potentially get some biotransformation without a super extended dry hop. Second is to scrub oxygen from the dry hop addition.

This coupled with closed transfer into purged kegs (newly using fermentation co2 - pic attached) has made for super stable beers that hold on with no or limited fall off until kicked.
20190311_182015.jpeg

would smell like a cat peeing on a pine tree.

citra and amarillo pair very well,
eldorado and denali as a combo is probably what your loooking for in a pineapple taste. I also recently had an amarillo pekko blend that was tropical; not a pineapple bomb, but tropical tasting.

I may try the simcoe with mosaic. Some people get a cat pee from mosaic and I can see where they get it. Maybe paired with Simcoe it is different.

Mosaic can be very oniony/chivey, but no cat pee. You're thinking Citra and Simcoe, as these two can give some of that, but it's much more rare than Mosaic giving out chives. Beer reviewers point out the onion in Mosaic forward beers, but they don't mind it. Savoury would some call it, but I can't stand it. I would more prefer Simcoe or Citra or anything else.

Mosaic can be very oniony/chivey, but no cat pee. You're thinking Citra and Simcoe, as these two can give some of that, but it's much more rare than Mosaic giving out chives. Beer reviewers point out the onion in Mosaic forward beers, but they don't mind it. Savoury would some call it, but I can't stand it. I would more prefer Simcoe or Citra or anything else.

I definitely get a cat pee out of Mosaic at times - all smell, not taste.

I've also heard of using wlp644 for a Ne Ipa doing the tropical thing.

Thanks. I may try that. I haven't fully decided - but I think I just want aroma, not necessarily a strong citrus or tropical flavor.

Latest posts

Back