Brut IPA enzyme addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I’m going to add White Labs Ultra Ferm to my Brut IPA this weekend. I like the simplicity of adding it to fermenter. How much and when should I add it?

Will one 10ml suffice for 11gal batch?

I'm brewing a Brut Friday. For a 5 gal batch I'm adding 2 ml during mash once temps hit 145 degrees then 3 ml after boil during cool down at 125 degrees.
I'm using AMG 300L. I would think 10ml would be sufficient for 11 gal.

I was leaning towards using in the fermenter. Can you explain why you choose to use in mash?

Honestly, I don't have an answer as to why. I have read some articles, one was the one with the person who came up with this recipe and he initially added the enzyme in the fermenter but said next brews he would add during the mash.
Not real sure if there is a benefit of adding in the mash or fermenter.
In the fermenter it will take longer to work due to lower temps.
There are a couple guys on this forum who brewed a brut and added their enzyme as I outlined above and in three days were down to 1.000 or below.
Most people that I see brewing bruts are adding the enzyme in the mash and during cool down after the boil so that's what I opted to do.

Mash addition pro: you can control the activity (after some experience) via temp and time
Mash addition pro: enzyme will be denatured before hitting fermenter (if you care about that sort of thing)
Mash addition con: the short time might be too short for effective activity, might not get as low grav as possible
Fermenter addition pro: longer time can allow for the enzyme to get as low as possible on its own term
Fermenter addition con: enzyme left unchecked and stays in fermenter (not denatured)

FWIW, you could also add some to both the mash AND the fermenter...

If you want to try to control the residual sugar level, add the enzymes in the mash, and do a mash out when you have the amount of residual dextrins, and other poly-saccharides, that you desire. Figuring out when that is is left as an exercise for the brewer, as it will depend on many variables that are unique to each brew system/process (some are likely to be unique to each run using the same system and "same" process.)

If you just want to dry out the beer as much as possible, add the enzymes to the fermenter. This is what I did, and my 0.996 FG beer is not as dry tasting as I expected. That may be due to the late/dry hot additions used.

Brew on :mug:

Back