Brushed vs Polished Stainless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
Im in the market for a new kettle. Im a total noob when it comes to most things. Is there a difference between brushed and polished stainless performance wise? is it just cosmetic?

I do think polished is a little easier to Shine up, however, it definitely shows scratches and scuffs. Brushed cleans up just fine and your eye is not drawn to scratches as much, which for me, makes it better for a working brewkettle, but thats just my opinion. My fermenter is polished 304, and I do see the scratches, my kettle and HLT are brushed 304, and honestly I don't notice imperfections as much. In any case my fellow JerseyBrewer.....Wilserbrewer....Hit the nail on the head with Bar keepers Friend, its wonderful stuff.:rockin:...I use it to clean up everything in my brewery, even the skankiest used kegs to bright and shiny.

What are all these scratches and scuffs you guys are getting on your polished SS...maybe it's me and I need some cheater glasses...even an old polished SS kettle I bought used looks great after a couple rounds w/ the BKF. This thing had been around the block more than a few times I'm sure!
Maybe the word is patina...haha cheers! FWIW the bottom of the kettle is wet, hence why it looks a little off.
kettle.jpg

Back