Bru'n Water water profiles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Peeps. Been using Bru'n water more lately and would like to be able to understand what all of the water profiles are and how to know when to use them.

Yellow full/dry
Amber full/dry
Burton
Dortmond
Dublin
Achouffe
Orval

What do all of these mean? How does one know when to use them as a desired water profile? I'm not just speaking about the ones above, those were just examples that I pulled out of Bru'n Water's selection box. There's a ton in there and I really don't know how to interpret any of them yet.

Last edited:
the color/mouthfeel profiles are just that. targets for a certain type of beer, yellow/dry for an IPA, black/full for a stout, amber/balanced for a nice amber ale. by looking at these you can start to understand how the various components of a water profile affect the mouthfeel and flavor.

The ones named after cities are exactly that, and would be used if your trying to replicate a classic style. however this is without knowing what the brewers in those locations did to treat their water prior to brewing, although boiling is common to reduced hardness, and is why there are boiled profiles for some of the historic hard water cities as well.

Hope this helps!

Back