Bru'n Water Question - Sparge water addition option

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Invertalon

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch adjusting the water chemistry this weekend and will be using Bru’n Water… I got my additions all set to get the water profile I want, but there is an option on tab #3 (Water Adjustment), next to the sparge water additions… It says:

“Add CaSO4 & CaCl to replace Chalk & Lime in Sparge Water?” with the option to check or not… When checked, it adds gypsum and calcium chloride in the sparge to supposedly balance the Sulfate/Chloride ratio, desirable if the raw water was under 40ppm Calcium. (Mine has a raw value of about 33ppm, adjusted up to 60ppm).

Should I have this option checked? When should I or should I not use it? I have yet to find a clear explanation of this.

Appreciate the help!

If you look both are "not recommended" as a sparge addition. I would assume this is asking if you still want to treat your water with other minerals to get the same desired outcome. Side note, I've used this software about 25+ times and paid no attention to that box. I actually had to search for it :)

Back