BruControl with Data Exchange on the Pi 4 (4Gb model)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

purdman10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Though there are nay-sayers about using a Pi 4 to run BruControl, I spent time because I own 7 Pi’s. I started with the original model, to build a wireless fermentation/keggerator monitor with temp sensors (Teensynet with 3.2 Teensy circa 2013). I own 2 - 4 G Pi 4’s, and wanted to put one to use rather than buy a mini PC. I looked at CraftbrewPi, but it did not have not enough I/O for my needs and it doesn’t do propane.

Admittedly, it takes a bit longer to load the large amount of data and programs than a PC would (unless you have a 3 year-old laptop with a A-12 chip like I do) but once up, It’s fast enough for brewing. I am happy enough. Maybe you will be too.

Attachments

exoticatom

Reaction score
I own several Raspis 4. This is great.
Do you think it would make sense to install it on 8GB RAM and SSD ? Would it be much better in your opinion?

thanks a lot for great work.

OP
purdman10

purdman10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
From what I have read, purchasing the 8 G model is overkill. If you already have one, go for it. You will be able to use all 8 G. Check out BruControl on your Pi, and tell us what your impressions are. Those instructions are for a full automation implementation. If you just want to install BruControl, follow those instructions to get going.

OP
purdman10

purdman10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To your question of using a SSD, the driver is flaky on USB 3, but reports are to use a USB 2 port (black). Use a fast USB thumb drive (USB 3 or greater) instead on a USB 3 port (blue).

OP
purdman10

purdman10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Though there are nay-sayers about using a Pi 4 to run BruControl, I spent time because I own 7 Pi’s. I started with the original model, to build a wireless fermentation/keggerator monitor with temp sensors (Teensynet with 3.2 Teensy circa 2013). I own 2 - 4 G Pi 4’s, and wanted to put one to use rather than buy a mini PC. I looked at CraftbrewPi, but it did not have not enough I/O for my needs and it doesn’t do propane.

Admittedly, it takes a bit longer to load the large amount of data and programs than a PC would (unless you have a 3 year-old laptop with a A-12 chip like I do) but once up, It’s fast enough for brewing. I am happy enough. Maybe you will be too.
Edit: The Windows 10 image is no longer available on the Windows on Raspberrypi Discord site, but instructions are there to download an image and debloat the image with Nlite and a XML file.

exoticatom

Reaction score
Edit: The Windows 10 image is no longer available on the Windows on Raspberrypi Discord site, but instructions are there to download an image and debloat the image with Nlite and a XML file.
I am new to discord , tried to find it but I couldn't...would you please share a link/invite to 'windows on Raspberry' server?

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
Y'all are gonna make me add an RPi4B to my fleet, just on GPs now :D

Cheers!

OP
purdman10

purdman10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Windows on Arm now emulates 64 bit programs starting with Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 21277 (RS_PRERELEASE) to Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel. Here is a youtube link to install and deloat it with nlite and the .xml file in the Windows on Raspberry Pi discord channel.