BruControl: Brewery control & automation software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Hannabrew

Reaction score
Interestingly, I was able to get up to two of the probes working after reseating the connections however I didn't see anything really wrong with them to begin with and secondly it doesn't seem to ever work when I have all 4 plugged in so maybe it has more to do with how many are plugged in than reseating connections.

When I have 1 or 2 plugged in, it shows a reading but even then the reading keeps flipping between the normal reading and a -197F reading repeatedly. When anymore than 2 are plugged in, it shows no readings.

Any way to debug from the ESP32 level through brucontrol to see what the ESP is seeing?

oakbarn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
One wire on the Unishield Grand Central:

I have the Dip Switch set for AREF to Pin 5.

I connect the Data to Pin 5, the GND to GND.

Do I use the 5 v Output on the Riser or the 3.3 v for VDD of the probe?
Bump
UNI GrandCentral (v45e+) Oakbarn Other Pins.png

CDCTx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Interestingly, I was able to get up to two of the probes working after reseating the connections however I didn't see anything really wrong with them to begin with and secondly it doesn't seem to ever work when I have all 4 plugged in so maybe it has more to do with how many are plugged in than reseating connections.

When I have 1 or 2 plugged in, it shows a reading but even then the reading keeps flipping between the normal reading and a -197F reading repeatedly. When anymore than 2 are plugged in, it shows no readings.

Any way to debug from the ESP32 level through brucontrol to see what the ESP is seeing?
The -197 tells me it's still a bad signal. Is the resistor the same one from before?

And you said you still have version of BC as before. Is that the same case for the ESP32? Same as before with same firmware?

CDCTx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, same resistor, same card, same firmware.
My next thought after checking connections would be to replace the resistor if you have any spares on hand. Since you haven't updated BC or the firmware, their versions should be aligned (we are up to firmware v46 now, with an updated BC), so there shouldn't be an issue there.

After contacts and resistor, it may be worth testing on another ESP32, if you have another.

oakbarn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I answered my own question about using a DS18B20 (one wire probe) with a Grand Central.

Do you use the 3.3v out or the 5v out on the Unishield riser?

It does not matter. A DS18B20 VDD can be powered by either one on the riser or even an external Power supply in the range from 3.0 to 5.5 v. You must have a common ground between and power and the Unishield if you use an external Power Supply.

When I originally hooked up to the 3.3 volts, I could not get the probe to read at all.

After doing some googling on the web, I surmised that the VDD could be separate and AREF tied to PIN 5 had nothing to do with the VDD Power.

I also read the schematic on the Bru Control website and it lead one to believe that the AREF needed to be tried to the Power for the VDD. It does not. If using an external Power Supply, it must share a ground with the interface.

The AREF does need to be tied with the on board power with a resistor. I have no idea how that is done on the Unishield for a Grand Central but it does not matter. You set it with a Dip Switch.

oakbarn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My next thought after checking connections would be to replace the resistor if you have any spares on hand. Since you haven't updated BC or the firmware, their versions should be aligned (we are up to firmware v46 now, with an updated BC), so there shouldn't be an issue there.

After contacts and resistor, it may be worth testing on another ESP32, if you have another.
I tried to connect my first one with to a Grand Central. I had hooked up one and then disconnected it. I reconnected using a different physical probe and got no joy on the temperature. I deleted the Element and then recreated it. It now works correctly. You might try to delete and add them back one at a time. You can use the CRTL C to copy the name, Delete the Element (noting the Port).. Add the Port using the same Port. Name it the same (use CTRL V to paste).

Mervin Lee

Reaction score
Sound great. Thanks for focusing the improvement about the brewery's control system. Again glad to learn about brucontrol and its interesting highlights. I think automated systems can help to produce quality beer.