Bru n Water not responding to changes in alkalinity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Reaction score
I have just purchased a Salifert carbonate hardness / alkalinity testing kit. I have a detailed water report but wanted to check my alkalinity before each brew.

When I checked my alkalinity for the first time it was quite a lot higher than the report. When I plugged the new numbers in to Bru N Water the change shows up in the water report sheet but nothing changed in the adjustments sheet.

The alkalinity test reported 4.3 meq/l which equates to an 263 ppm CaCo3. Previous the water report had suggested 190 ppm. I entered the new figure in the water report sheet but nothing changed in the adjustments sheet. The bicarbonate level remained at 231 ppm and the mash pH didn't change either.

I didn't have time to question it last night so went ahead anyway and I think it was OK but I just wanted to check if this is normal.

Also, I just wanted to check which order you should make mineral and acid additions. I added 3.45ml of phosphoric acid to my mash water and then added calcium sulphate. The water went very cloudy, which I guess was the calcium refusing to go into solution. Should I have added the calcium sulphate first?

The first question would be: Is your program set to automatically recalculate, or is set for manual recalculation? If you input things and numbers don't change elsewhere, your program is probably set for manual recalc.

At that high level of apparent hardness and alkalinity, the phosphoric acid might be creating a precipitation reaction with the calcium in the tap water. That can be some of the cloudiness.

I'm certainly not aware of changing anything to recalculate manually. Some cells update automatically but the bicarbonate level in the adjustments sheet doesn't change.

The alkalinity test reported 4.3 meq/l
A kit that reports in mEq/L? Fantastic!

....which equates to an 263 ppm CaCo3.
4.3*50 = 215 ppm as CaCO3.

Previous the water report had suggested 190 ppm.
So not really that much of a change from what the report indicated (13%).

PI entered the new figure in the water report sheet but nothing changed in the adjustments sheet. The bicarbonate level remained at 231 ppm and the mash pH didn't change either.
It happens to me fairly frequently that Excel will, of its own volition, turn off automatic calculation. Check that.

Also, I just wanted to check which order you should make mineral and acid additions. I added 3.45ml of phosphoric acid to my mash water and then added calcium sulphate. The water went very cloudy, which I guess was the calcium refusing to go into solution. Should I have added the calcium sulphate first?
No. It is the formation of apatite, Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2 which occurs at higher pH when the water contains calcium. It takes quite a bit of calcium at mash pH to reach saturation. Check the pH of the water after he additions (acid and gypsum) and then add additional phosphoric acid to get the mix to mash pH. The water should clarify. If it does not post again with info on your calcium level.

Back