brown sugar. whens the best time to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerada6

Reaction score
I'm looking at trying to come up with a red ale recipe of my own. I brewed a one gallon batch b and it came out pretty good but I'm thinking it could use a little sweetness and a little richness. I am thinking that a dark brown sugar might fit the bill. I don't know when would be the best time to add it. I'm really interested in the flavor not just raising ABV. Should I add it to the mash, boil (60 minutes/5 minutes, flame out) or added in the fermenter. Or some combination of the above. Anyone have a help on what will be added by an addition of brown sugar at threes various times? Thanks all for your help:mug:

I would say during the end of the boil is the best time. Last 15 or 10 minutes.

This will help fully dissolve the sugar and reducing the time in the boil will reduce the mallard reactions of the added sugar.

Brown sugar will not, on the other hand, add sweetness to the beer. It is pretty much 100% fermentable, so unless your yeast conk out early sugar additions will dry your beer out. The remaining flavor you would get from the brown sugar would be the molasses.

Adding more crystal malts. Like maybe a 8oz of crystal 20 will help add a little sweetness though.

Back